This page sets out the remits of each of the directors who make up the SfEP council.
- All directors
- Community director
- Conference director
- External relations director
- Information director
- Internet director
- Marketing and PR director
- Membership director
- Professional development director
- Standards director
- Training director
- Oversee the work of staff, directors and volunteers.
- Steer the Society as a whole, including its strategic plans.
- Liaise with the new financial expert (to be appointed).
- Chair the AGM, council meetings and strategy group meetings.
- Represent the Society in dealings with external bodies.
- Support the chair and deputise for her/him as required.
- Carry out administrative duties for the council as a whole.
- Organise council meetings, preparing agenda, minutes and other relevant documents.
- Organise the SfEP AGM, preparing relevant documents, and any extraordinary meetings.
- Keep the membership informed of the council's activities via Council News and other outlets.
- Manage their own budgets, from straightforward ones to large and complex ones such as the conference and training budgets, in collaboration with our finance officer and financial expert.
- Update public information about areas in their remit.
- Meet for 5 or 6 regular council meetings a year in London.
- Regularly contribute to discussions, action plans and decisions on the council forum.
This is a new post, extending the remit of the regional development director:
- Liaise with local group coordinators, including those of the international and Skype groups, and support them in their roles.
- Raise the profile of local group membership, for example by collating and disseminating information about local groups and their events.
- Help local group coordinators organise regional events.
- Manage the social media team, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and blog; oversee and develop social media activity; contribute to social media content; liaise with other directors on social media promotion.
- Oversee the coordination of SfEP volunteers.
- Plan the conference programme, including making arrangements for any entertainment, displays etc.
- Find speakers and liaise with them.
- Liaise with the conference venue regarding all arrangements and details; research and visit potential venues.
- Prepare information for delegates and booking forms.
- Oversee the sponsorship campaign, working with the conference sponsorship coordinator.
External relations director
This is a new post intended to raise the profile of the organisation, its standards and its membership numbers. The external relations director will:
- Establish and nurture links with:
- universities and other educational institutions
- publishers and publishers' organisations
- sister organisations
- professional and governmental bodies
- Create, maintain and update the corresponding contact list.
This is a new post, widening the remit of the publications director:
- Look after the range of SfEP Guides, updating existing guides and commissioning new ones.
- Look after the Editing Matters e-magazine, in conjunction with its editorial team.
- Manage the FAQs on the SfEP website.
- Oversee the update of the Society's statutes: Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association, and By-laws.
- Keep the directors' handbook, model terms & conditions, welcome pack and SfEP style guide up to date.
- Manage and develop the SfEP website on sfep.org.uk.
- Manage and develop SfEP forums.
- Manage technical discussions with the SfEP's IT supplier, and corresponding action plans.
- Manage all SfEP domains and email accounts.
- Communicate with and manage web content team, forum moderators and other volunteers.
Marketing and PR director
Raise the profile of the SfEP, notably:
- Promote the benefits of membership.
- Publicise and promote take-up of SfEP training and mentoring.
- Encourage clients to use our members' services.
- Publicise and promote the SfEP conference and other events.
- Look after advertising, press releases, guest articles, publicity materials, media contacts and sponsorship.
- Manage the membership renewal and joining processes, for individual and Corporate Subscribers.
- Oversee the membership database and corresponding reports.
- Run the annual membership survey, survey of lapsed members and other surveys.
- Manage membership benefits with the benefits coordinator.
- Liaise with the Judith Butcher Award Committee.
Professional development director
- Manage the (anonymous) Admissions Panel, including supervision and recruitment.
- Liaise between the council and the Admissions Panel.
- Ensure the upgrade process is updated as required, in agreement with the council and members of the Panel.
- Respond to queries about upgrading from individual members.
- Organise continuing professional development events on topics of interest to members.
The standards director (a new post) will:
- Set up, publicise and update the SfEP's editorial syllabus and standards, liaising with BSI and ISO as required.
- Create, update and evaluate editorial tests.
- Set up a range of recognised editorial qualifications.
- Manage the complaints procedure.
- Liaise with the chartership expert to ensure continuing progress of our chartership application.
- Create new courses, including commissioning, content and uploading, with the help of web assistants.
- Recruit trainers, induct them and coordinate their work.
- Manage the update of all course content.
- Manage workshops and in-house courses with the help of office staff.
- Manage mentoring, mentors and senior mentors.