I am a language editor and proofreader driven by precision and perfection: a textual healer.
When I edit, my goal is always to bring out the true meaning of the text. I find the most precise words so that you as the writer say exactly what you want to say. I use my language skills (German and French), English as a Second Language teaching experience, and natural empathy to understand what you mean, and write it the way you would have wanted to: clearly, correctly, and a pleasure to read.
When I proofread, I let my love of perfection guide me. I’m detail oriented, and in proofreading the details are everything.
- Language editing for non-native English or translated books and articles
- Line and copy-editing
- Proofreading student work
- Writing / ghost-writing for marketing materials
- Grammar coaching for ESL writers
I earned a BA in Humanistic Studies from McGill University in my hometown of Montreal, Canada, in 1991. I put that to good use working in a bookstore for several years... I eventually went back for a BEd in Teaching English as a Second Language. I found my favourite part of teaching was correcting essays and gradually transitioned to being an editor full-time. I have lived in Switzerland since 2001.
- Samuel Vozeh, Why Do We Exist? 2018: line editor for the English translation
- Fatma AlHaidari, The Discourse of Business Meetings: Agency and Power in Financial Organizations, Palgrave Macmillan, 2018: pre-submission language editor
- Ulrike Laubner, A Product Manager's Cookbook, 2017: editor for the English translation of Fitness-Training für Produktmanager.
- Selina Man Karlsson, Step Out of Your Comfort Zone, Espresso Books, 2016: proofreader
- Mohammad Shahabuddin, Ethnicity and International Law: Histories, Politics and Practices, Cambridge University Press, 2016: copy-editor (pre-submission)
- Jane Bingham, Usborne Illustrated Grammar and Punctuation, 2016: proofreader and US grammar checker
- Tulia Lopes, Leading in High Heels, 2015: copy-editor/proofreader
- Editing Agencies:
- English Editing Experts
- Supertext AG
- Business clients:
- Hello Switzerland print magazine: regional co-editor for Zurich, Zug and Lucerne, 2009–2014
- Academic: editing and proofreading PhD/Master's theses (dissertations), journal articles and books in the humanities (including history, literature, linguistics, philosophy), arts (including art history, graphic design, textile design, film studies), social sciences (including economics, sociology, public health), education (especially English language teaching), information technology, business, and science
- Commercial: proofreading, editing, and copywriting marketing and communication materials (websites, advertisements, blog posts, Facebook posts, newsletters, sales presentations) for entrepreneurs and small and medium-sized companies in fields such as Emotional Intelligence coaching, language teaching, luxury goods and services, event planning, IT, and cryptocurrencies/blockchain
- Leisure: writing and editing travel and tourism articles, especially about places, events and activities in Switzerland
- Personal and professional development: editing and proofreading books, websites, and training materials for coaches, trainers, and event coordinators as well as CVs and cover letters
- Experience with non-native (ESL) and translated English
- Always up for an interesting new challenge
- Often available for rush jobs
Allison Turner edits and proofreads my texts for trainings on Emotional Intelligence. I am very satisfied with Allison’s professional services. She has a lot of creative ideas for the speech craft and helps me to enhance my English. I highly recommend Allison Turner and ensure that with Allison’s contribution your materials will be well structured, nicely crafted, and grammatically perfect.
Marina Riedi, EQ Power
I have now had a chance to go through the changes you made/proposed in the manuscript and I must say you have done a great job. What I liked the most about your work is the thoroughness and attentiveness to details. It is indeed easier now to read the manuscript. Thanks so much for your hard work.
Mohammad Shahabuddin, PhD
Lecturer, School of Law