I am a freelance editor and proofreader with experience in both children's and adult publishing, fiction and general non-fiction.
I am available for copyediting and proofreading across most commercial / trade genres – including literary fiction, fantasy, cosy crime, commercial women's fiction, general non-fiction, biographies/memoirs and pop culture.
I also offer manuscript assessment / critique, although for this service I specialise in children's and YA fiction. You are welcome to get in touch with me regarding manuscript assessment for other genres, but I will let you know if I think I am not the right editor for your project.
Proofreading, copy-editing, anglicizing
Books, children's books, illustrated books, multi-author books
Freelance since 2016; desk editor, Hachette Children's Group, 2014–16; desk editor, Constable & Robinson, 2010–14
Grappling with grammar (Publishing Training Centre) 2014, Rewriting and substantive editing (PTC) 2013
- Hachette Children's Group
- Little, Brown Book Group
- Allison & Busby
- BBC Books
- Eve White Literary Agency
- Chicken House Books
- Cornerstones Literary Consultancy
- House of Editors
- The Honford Star
- Palazzo Editions
- Children's/teenage/young adult publishing (fiction, teenage, general non-fiction, TV tie-in, historical fiction, fantasy)
- Fiction (adult, crime/mystery/thrillers, cosy crime, literary, fantasy, historical, popular, romantic, contemporary, women's fiction)
- Anthologies (crime fiction, romance, erotica, fiction in translation, fantasy)
- Food and drink (cookery)
- Non-fiction (general, history, popular culture, music, films and TV)
BA English Literature
"I really enjoyed this edit--Becca Allen is amazing. I love her attention to detail! She's really great."
Jenny Hale, author of The Summer House, Coming Home for Christmas, and more
"Your assessment is exactly what I was looking and hoping for: constructive, concise, and addressing my writing as a whole."
“Becca is a lovely, helpful editor who can spot an error at fifty paces, is full of helpful suggestions, and likes cats. Recommended!”
Janine Beacham, author of the Rose Raventhorpe Investigates series