I provide freelance wordsmith services in the fields of counselling, psychotherapy, bereavement, death and dying, and personal development:
- Writing – I’ll craft a professional text tailored to your readers, using the information you supply.
- Rewriting – I'll use the information in your document, restructuring and rewording it to create a high-quality text.
- Summarising – I’ll produce a summary that’s just right for your readership.
- Editing – I’ll suggest stylistic, structural and substantive changes to ensure the text is clear, correct and consistent.
- Proofreading – I’ll spot typographical, linguistic and positional errors on a proof, and mark corrections.
- Readability testing – I’ll assess how suitable your document is for your target readers.
- Accreditation – I can arrange document and website accreditation through my link with Plain Language Commission.
- Academic papers
- Book chapters
- Learning materials
- Corporate information
- Public information in plain English
- BA French and Scandinavian Language and Linguistics with Teaching English as a Foreign Language (first class)
- RSA Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- ABC Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
I have worked as a freelance writer, editor and proofreader for over 20 years. Before then, I was an NHS manager. I also work now as a bereavement counsellor (in both human and pet loss), and am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. I am a faculty member at NHS R&D North West, and part of the freelance group at Plain Language Commission. I enjoy writing for publication, and have written a book (on tackling NHS jargon), distance-learning course (on writing letters and emails in plain English), guides (on editing into plain language, and on writing for older people), several book chapters, and many journal and website articles.
- Universities in the UK and overseas
- Provider of online academic support for students of counselling and psychotherapy
- Students of counselling and psychotherapy
- Bereavement charity
- NHS North West Research and Development
- Death and dying
- Personal development
Carr Consultancy offers you the peace of mind of knowing that your text is clear and consistent in content, structure and style, and that it uses correct grammar, punctuation and spelling. Ask me to work on your document and I'll make sure the language is right for the readers, helping you and/or your organisation look truly professional. I offer excellent value for money, with a firm quote at the start and a commitment always to meet agreed deadlines.