|Location||TERRÅK, NORWAY (from Bristol, England)|
Hi, I'm Cathryn! I've been working as a freelance scientific copy-editor for 8 years and prior to that I worked as a commercial oceanographer for 14 years with Fugro GEOS and Fugro OCEANOR. While working for Fugro I lived and worked in England, Singapore, the USA and Norway and had roles such as operations manager in the Americas, as well as undertaking many offshore field visits around the world. I have an MSc in oceanography and a BSc (Honours) in geography as well as the following A-levels: geography special paper (merit), physics, mathematics with mechanics, geography.
I offer the following core services using track changes in MS Word:
1. Copy-editing (e.g. books, research articles, funding applications).
2. Sub-editing (e.g. trade magazines).
3. Proof-editing (e.g. dissertations).
I can also offer: writing of project management documentation (e.g. proposals, project plans, reports, procedures, project descriptions); development editing of short to medium-length documents such as course guidelines and reports; Norwegian (Bokmål) to English translation; proofreading (PDF or on paper); website editing (and functionality checks); conversational English courses and private tutoring. Please contact me to discuss your needs.
I can help you to get more clients, sell more products and services, have HSE and technical information that is understandable, and to communicate your financial and scientific results clearly.
- Climate change and renewable energy
- Metocean monitoring
- Medical and healthcare communications
- Project management documentation
- Harvard, Vancouver and APA reference styles
Examples of my clients include:
- Service providers to the renewables, aquaculture and offshore industries
- International development agencies
- World Health Organization
- Norwegian Refugee Council
- UiT – The Arctic University of Norway
- Medical research institutions, doctors
- research scientists
- academic publishers
- attention to detail
- delivery within deadline and budget
- academic expertise
- easy to work with
- solution minded
Academic, alternative technology, alternative therapies, anthropology, aquaculture, built environment, business studies, careers advice, child welfare and behaviour, childcare, children's publishing, civil engineering, climate change, clinical diabetes, conservation/countryside/nature/wildlife, crafts, developing countries, disability services, earth sciences, ecotourism/travel, education (adult, pre-school/early years, special needs), energy efficiency, engineering, environmental monitoring systems, environmental science, fitness/health, geology, geophysics, geopolitics, geosciences, human geography, humanities, international development, international relations, language editing, management (human resources, public sector), manufacturing, marine ecology, marine technology, medicine, Norway and Scandinavia, nursing, oceanography, oil/gas exploration and drilling, oil spill, organisational behaviour, palaeoceanography, personal development, physical geography, politics, pollution, project management, psychology, recycling, renewable energy, science, social sciences, sports (general, football, handball, hockey, netball, rugby, tennis), sustainable development, technology, travel, tsunami, walking/camping/outdoor pursuits, water resources
I am an experienced native English copy-editor from Bristol, England, presently living in Bindal, Norway. I apply my scientific background and commercial knowledge to a wide range of publications for businesses, scientists, medical specialists, post-graduate students, PhD students, national institutions, academic publishers and others.
I am also an experienced commercial oceanographer with strong scientific, project management and practical skills. I worked for 14 years for Fugro Global Environmental and Ocean Sciences in roles including operations manager in Houston, USA, and project/sales manager in Trondheim, Norway. I am able to take on business tasks such as proposal writing, project management and following up sales leads.
Selection of recent books copy-edited
- The Psychology of False Confessions, Gisli Gudjonsson, Wiley, 2018
- Cracking Neuroscience, J Turney, 2018
- International Relations and the European Union, Third Edition, C Hill, M Smith and S Vanhoonacker (Eds), 2017, Oxford University Press
- Physics Workbook for CSEC® (Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate) (equivalent to UK GCSE). 2014
- Practice Development Workbook for Nursing, Health and Social Care Teams, Jan Dewing, Brendan McCormack and Angie Titchen, Wiley, 2014
- Hypoglycaemia in Clinical Diabetes, 3rd ed., Brian M Frier, Simon R Heller and Rory J McCrimmon (eds), Wiley, 2013
- Science, Philosophy and Physical Geography, Rob Inkpen and Graham Wilson, Routledge, 2013
- Critical Excitation Methods in Earthquake Engineering, Izuru Takewaki, Elsevier, 2013
- Joy and International Relations: A New Methodology, Elina Pentinnen, Routledge, 2013
- Radiation Oncology in Palliative Cancer Care, Stephen Lutz, Edward Chow, and Peter Hoskin (eds), Wiley-Blackwell, 2013
- Transforming Your STEM Career through Leadership and Innovation, Pamela Bush, Elsevier, 2012.
Continuing professional development (recent)
- Medical Editing (SfEP) 2017
- 120-hour Premier Online TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course 2016
- Document Control Foundation - Grade A - The Robert Gordon University 2016
- Namsos Hospital, Norway: Exchange Of Experiences For People With Diabetes And Who Use An Insulin Pump (And Their Relatives), 3 days, 2015, Norway
- Future Learn – Heart Health 2014
- On-screen editing 1 (SfEP) 2012
- Basic proofreading by distance learning – merit (Publishing Training Centre) 2010
- Advanced Professional Member, Society for Editors and Proofreaders
- Member, Nordic Editors and Translators (NEaT)
- Member, TEKNA (Norwegian Society of Graduate Technical and Scientific Professionals)
- Member, European Association of Science Editors
whitefox Q&A interview – part of their May 2016 focus on the delocalisation of publishing
Society for Editors and Proofreaders: specialist Q&A interview – oceanography and medicine
Volunteer scientific article writer for Earthzine, a website featuring the latest news on Earth observation, including announcements, news roundups and blog-type items
Primrose C (2007). Fugro OCEANOR's Tsunami Detection System For Tsunami Early Warning Systems. Presentation. IEEE OCEANS 2007 Aberdeen, Scotland, June 2007.
Bosley K T, Primrose C, Harragin C (2005). A Comparison of Two Measurement Systems Designed to Provide Real-Time Current Information in Support of Navigation. MTS/IEEE Oceans Conference 2005, Washington, DC.
Mullison J, Nicholas C, Primrose C (2003). Field Testing of an Instrument to Measure Near-Surface Currents from Offshore Platforms. IEEE/MTS Oceans 2003 Marine Technology and Ocean Science Conference.
Jeans G, Primrose C, Descusse N, Strong B & Van Weert P (2002). Comparison Between Directional Wave Measurements from the RDI Workhorse with Waves and the Datawell Waverider in a Region with Distinct Sea and Swell. IEEE Seventh Working Conference on Current Measurement Technology, San Diego, CA, USA.
Lauras N, Mignot J, Primrose C, Stephens R (1998). Long Term Programme of Current Measurements in Angola Block 17. West Africa Deep Water Currents Workshop, Le Conquet.
Primrose C L (1996). Sediment Dynamics of the Eastern English Channel at Lowered Sea Levels. Unpublished MSc Dissertation, Dept. Oceanography, Uni of Southampton, Southampton, UK, 105pp. (Combination of data from FLUXMANCHE hydrodynamic numerical model with empirical sediment transport formulae to predict bedload transport rates and pathways).
Primrose C L (1995). Diatom Analysis of Surface Sediment Samples in Lake Naivasha, Kenya. Unpublished BSc Dissertation, Dept. Geography, Loughborough Uni. of Technology, Loughborough, UK, 82pp. (Use of diatoms as palaeolimnological indicators).
Cathryn was extremely efficient throughout the entire process, meeting all deadlines. We had very few unresolved queries on the copy-edited manuscript; she corresponded well with all authors
Project management company for Wiley-Blackwell book
Cathryn is a friendly, positive, self-motivated individual who is willing to learn on the job as well as being an absolute joy to work with. I would highly recommend Cathryn, and I am sure that she will make a very positive addition to your organisation
Project management company for Routledge
The edit was clear, concise and consistent; she adhered to house style faultlessly, and I was extremely impressed with her referencing abilities … Cathryn completed and returned the edited manuscript ahead of the deadline
Project management company for Routledge
I have worked with Cathryn on several projects over the course of 5 years. In particular, she has provided English language review of my PhD thesis as well as articles that I have published in BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders and the BMJ together with my colleagues. In addition to correcting the English, she also looked out for technical errors and inconsistencies and was able to solve many MS Word challenges. She is easy to work with, flexible and has great attention to detail. I thoroughly recommend her services.
Trond Iversen, GP in Bindal, Norway
Cathy worked for me for a number of years in different roles and was always very professional in all her roles. These roles varied from tender submissions through to project management and technical oversight of both fieldwork and client reports.
She was exceptionally good at reviewing technical details of tender submissions and reports to clients.
Garry Mardell, Director at Consult-On-Sea Ltd, previously Operations Director at Fugro GEOS
Cathryn was the copy-editor for my 2018 Wiley book on The Psychology of False Confessions. I’m very impressed with her work and strongly recommend her services to authors and publishers. She made sure she understood the manuscript in order to detect errors and inconsistencies, and improve clarity of language.
Gisli Gudjonsson, CBE,
Emeritus Professor of Forensic Psychology, King’s College London