|Location||Works: Worldwide | Based: Scotland|
I work with publishers on non-fiction books and educational materials. For independent authors and self-publishers I can provide a handholding service from editing and proofreading to interior page design and layout for publication as print books (POD) or ebooks (Kindle mobi or epub).
I work with small businesses, government departments, non-profit organisations and individuals on writing clear text and getting your message across: your blog, website or social media posts, your newsletter, annual report, marketing materials or in-house guides and manuals. As well as general copy-editing and proofreading, I offer formatting in Word with styles and templates, page design and layout in InDesign and can advise on writing good web content that will be found in the search engines (SEO).
I am an experienced user of Microsoft Word, including Track Changes, Word styles and templates, macros and consistency checkers such as PerfectIt (and other Office apps such as PowerPoint and Excel). I use Adobe Acrobat or Reader for PDF proofreading and InDesign for book layout. I can also work in digital platforms such as WordPress and Joomla!, and will happily put my mind to learning your own CMS if required.
I am currently the SfEP's information director.
- On-screen editing and proofreading
- Paper copy-editing and proofreading
- Page layout, styling, formatting and templates
- Rewriting and substantive editing, including for ESL (English as a second language) authors
- Website and online content editing
- Ebook creation and formatting
- Self-publishing advice (POD print on demand; Kindle, iBooks, PDF etc)
non-fiction books, educational textbooks and materials, company literature, annual reports, marketing and promotional materials, newsletters, websites, blogs, online content, information leaflets, government reports, ebooks (epub and mobi)
business skills, small business, computer use, voluntary sector, not-for-profit, charities and NGOs, memoirs, self-help, local history, education, exam preparation and revision, wildlife conservation, sewing, crafts, how-to guides
I have worked on numerous educational books, including copy-editing and/or proofreading of Electronic Document Preparation and Management, Principles of Business and social studies course books for Macmillan Caribbean, and International Baccalaureate teacher and student guides and information.
Examples of clients I have worked for:
- Businesses and independent authors
- RISJ (Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford)
- CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity)
- ALLi (Alliance of Independent Authors)
- Just Content (educational publishing project manager)
- Universities and research bodies (UCL, King's College London)
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
- NGOs (Natural History Museum, Unicef, Manx Ornithological Society)
- Isle of Man Government
- Design and media agencies
- Macmillan Caribbean
- Handspring Publishing
- Eclipse Publishing & Media
- LLB Law (Scots), DipLP Diploma in Legal Practice
- MPhil Child Studies
- Basic editing (Publishing Training Centre)
- Basic proofreading (PTC), with distinction
- SfEP courses: Editing with Word, Web editing and proofreading, On-screen editing 1 and 2, Brush up your grammar, Introduction to proofreading, Introduction to fiction editing, Practical mark-up of PDFs
- Joomla! essential training (Lynda.com)
- InDesign CC: Epub Fundamentals (Lynda.com)
I have been a freelance editor and proofreader since 2003. Before that I worked in information and publications roles in the non-profit / charitable sector, after a brief spell as a solicitor.
- Information officer, Federation of Community Work Training Groups
- Information worker, National Tenants' Resource Centre
- Information and resources worker, Save the Children Child Poverty Resources Unit
Thank you very much for the edited article. It is beautifully edited. I like that you have kept the neutral tone …
Alexander Filmer-Lorch, Inside Meditation
I think you really got a great handle on the right tone for the magazine with the last two pieces you worked on – the edited versions read really well, so you're definitely "in the zone" very quickly with Second Nature, which is great news for us!
Louise Kittle, Natural History Museum
What a conscientious job you've made of the editing! Thank you … I'll look over your suggestions during the next couple of days; on the face of it they all seem eminently sensible to me.
John Berryman, Macmillan author
Thank you very much for returning the proofs, they arrived this morning. You have done a Herculean amount of moving around. It all looks clear enough to me …
Louisa Browne, Macmillan Caribbean