|Location||Works: Worldwide | Based: Isle of Man|
I work with publishers on general non-fiction books, school textbooks and education materials. For independent authors and self-publishers I can provide a package service from editing and proofreading to interior page design and layout for publication as print books (POD) or ebooks.
I enjoy working with businesses, government, organisations and individuals on getting your message across, whether on your website, in your newsletter, annual report, marketing materials or in-house guides and manuals. As well as general copy-editing and proofreading, I offer formatting in Word with styles and templates, page design and layout and can advise on the structure and content of web pages.
I am an experienced user of Microsoft Word, including Track Changes, Word styles and templates, macros and consistency checkers such as PerfectIt (and other Office apps such as PowerPoint and Excel). I use Adobe Acrobat or Reader for PDF proofreading and InDesign for book layout. I can also work in digital platforms such as WordPress and Joomla!, and will happily put my mind to learning your own CMS if required.
I am currently the SfEP's marketing and PR director.
- On-screen editing and proofreading
- Paper copy-editing and proofreading
- Page layout, styling and formatting
- Rewriting/editing, including for ESL (English as a second language) authors
- Website and online content editing
- Ebook creation and formatting
- Self-publishing advice (POD print on demand; Kindle, iBooks, PDF etc)
non-fiction books, educational textbooks and materials, company literature and promotional material, newsletters, websites, digital content, information leaflets, government reports, ebooks (EPUB and MOBI)
memoirs, self-help, local history, education, exam preparation and revision, business skills, office practice and skills, computer use, voluntary sector, not-for-profit, charities and NGOs, wildlife conservation, sewing, crafts, how-to guides
I have worked on numerous educational books, including copy-editing and/or proofreading of Electronic Document Preparation and Management, Principles of Business and social studies course books for Macmillan Caribbean, and International Baccalaureate teacher and student guides and information.
Examples of clients I have worked for:
- Businesses and independent authors
- RISJ (Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford)
- CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity)
- ALLi (Alliance of Independent Authors)
- Just Content (educational publishing project manager)
- Universities and research bodies (UCL, King's College London)
- TSO (The Stationery Office)
- NGOs (Natural History Museum, Unicef, Manx Ornithological Society)
- Isle of Man Government
- Design and media agencies
- Macmillan Caribbean
- Handspring Publishing
- LLB Law (Scots), DipLP Diploma in Legal Practice
- MPhil Child Studies
- Basic editing (Publishing Training Centre)
- Basic proofreading (PTC), with distinction
- SfEP courses: Editing with Word, Web editing and proofreading, On-screen editing 1 and 2, Brush up your grammar, Introduction to proofreading, Introduction to fiction editing, Practical mark-up of PDFs
- Joomla! essential training (Lynda.com)
- InDesign CC: Epub Fundamentals (Lynda.com)
I have been a freelance editor and proofreader since 2003. Before that I worked in information and publications roles in the voluntary sector, after a brief spell as a solicitor.
- Information officer, Federation of Community Work Training Groups
- Information worker, National Tenants' Resource Centre
- Information and resources worker, Save the Children Child Poverty Resources Unit
Thank you very much for the edited article. It is beautifully edited. I like that you have kept the neutral tone …
Alexander Filmer-Lorch, Inside Meditation
I think you really got a great handle on the right tone for the magazine with the last two pieces you worked on – the edited versions read really well, so you're definitely "in the zone" very quickly with Second Nature, which is great news for us!
Louise Kittle, Natural History Museum
What a conscientious job you've made of the editing! Thank you … I'll look over your suggestions during the next couple of days; on the face of it they all seem eminently sensible to me.
John Berryman, Macmillan author
Thank you very much for returning the proofs, they arrived this morning. You have done a Herculean amount of moving around. It all looks clear enough to me …
Louisa Browne, Macmillan Caribbean