|Location||GG Editorial Services, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE|
|Mobile||07766 938 775|
I offer a professional, efficient and accurate proofreading and content, feature and copywriting service. I help customers with information production, precision and presentation following more than 15 years' experience in all areas of the written word.
Trained in proofreading in-house and by the Publishing Training Centre and Society for Editors and Proofreaders, I help organisations and individuals present a professional image through clear and correct information. I ensure that written information is easily readable, logical, concise and free from errors by paying minute attention to the details.
My content, feature and copywriting service enables clients to project a strong, clear message that effectively engages the target readership.
Do not hesitate to get in touch if you feel that I can help with a specific project or for further information. There are also more details on my website.
- Plain/clear English
- Accessible information (written or presented in a format that is easily used and understood by its intended audience)
- Government reports
- Grant proposals
- Company literature
- Online materials
- Theses and dissertations
- Freelance since 2013
- Senior information researcher and proofreader, Grantfinder, 2000–04 (intensive in-house training in proofreading, editing, information research and content writing)
- More than 15 years' experience in the fields of proofreading, copy-editing, writing (various styles and formats), marketing and training delivery
- Getting work with non-publishers (SfEP) 2018
- Practical mark-up of PDFs (SfEP) 2017
- Brush up your grammar (SfEP) 2017
- Annual writers' conference (Writing East Midlands) 2016
- Basic proofreading by distance learning – merit (Publishing Training Centre) 2015
- Annual conference (SfEP) 2015 & 2018
- Bloomsbury Publishing (including Bloomsbury Sigma and Christopher Helm Field Guides)
- Idox (‘Research Connect’ and ‘Policy Finder’ funding and policy databases for the academic and scientific research community)
- HarperCollins Publishers
- DixonBaxi | Brand and Creative Agency
- RedDoor Publishing
- Arctic University of Norway
- Propolis Books
- Radley Yeldar
- Trigger Publishing
- Disabled Photographers' Society
- Leicestershire Centre for Integrated Living
- Numerous students, independent (self-publishing) fiction and non-fiction authors, individuals and businesses (from SMEs to large corporate clients)
Able to work on a variety of subject areas, but specialise in:
- Geography (physical and human) and related subjects such as development, population, environmental and urban/rural studies
- Social sciences and humanities
- Literary theory/criticism
- Natural history and nature conservation
- History, arts and heritage
- Fiction and poetry
- Grant funding and bid writing
- European and UK policy
- Lifestyle, personal development and hobbies
- Charities and the voluntary sector
- Disability and health & social care
BA Geography and English Studies
I have been a journalist/copywriter/editor for much of my working life (fifty years next year!) and have always prided myself on my proofreading skills. However, I have learned, often to my cost, that it’s all too easy to miss things, especially if I’ve been putting everything together myself. I now edit the quarterly magazine of the Disabled Photographers’ Society (careful to insert the apostrophe there!) and have come to rely on Gemma to pick up the misspellings, poor punctuation, incorrect font, bad grammar – all of those elements which are crucial to the production of a quality publication. Thank you, Gemma!
Peter Corbett, Crossbow Communications/Disabled Photographers' Society
Idox has been using GG Editorial Services for some months now for a variety of written work and proofreading services. We have been extremely impressed with Gemma's professionalism and skill at writing clear, succinct and grammatically correct copy. We have a very strict language style and this has been followed to the letter, with an exceptional eye for detail. The work has to be completed to tight deadlines and it is important that we can trust the service to deliver on time. We have also relied on the creative abilities of Gemma for Blog features, which must grab the attention of a variety of audiences across the public, private and charitable sectors.
Kathryn Andrews, policy and research manager, Idox Software Ltd
Gemma, yet again I am in awe of your attention to detail, efficiency and professionalism whilst proofreading Loving the Life Less Lived for me and RedDoor Publishing. I don't know how you managed to spot so many errors that everyone else who had read the manuscript had missed but your input was vital in producing a professional final product. Your feedback was friendly and accessible and I will definitely be coming to you again for my next book publication.
Gail Mitchell, author
Thank you to Gemma's excellent editing skills which brought my e-book to life. Her accuracy and precision really showed through in her work and her kind nature made it really easy to communicate what type of editing I was looking for. Thanks again.
Naomi Sharp, CEO & founder, Spirit of the Phoenix (Equine Assisted Therapy)
I needed someone who understood what I had written and the message that was being conveyed to my customers. Gemma provided me with a first class and professional service that went beyond proofreading and language clarification. Not only was her work precise, accurate and consistent, she put my mind at rest. Gemma's comments and suggestions placed my own words into context. I will continue to use Gemma's services in the future and will be happy to recommend her to anyone else.
Mike McLeod, director, Salcotech
The proofreading work that Gemma did for me was of the highest order. She was meticulous, quick and very knowledgeable. I would have no hesitation in recommending her.
Gavin Neath CBE