|Location||Proofed Beyond Doubt, ATTLEBOROUGH, Norfolk (full address on application)|
|Mobile||07599 835 972|
|Gordon R Hooper|
I set up Proofed Beyond Doubt in 2008 after nearly 35 years in the financial services industry. My extensive experience in business and personal finance makes me an ideal proofreader for material covering these areas, although I have a generalist approach and will consider all non-scientific subjects, with the exception of fiction or memoirs.
I can proofread hard copy or on screen, and website validation is a speciality (checking content, links, interactive material and design).
Recent projects include:
- reports on the oil and gas drilling industry, the UK's railway infrastructure, the nuclear industry, and the engineering and IT sectors
- websites in the retail bank, investment bank, investment management and recruitment sectors
- a range of children's books for two major UK retailers
- a range of adult and children's games and puzzles for several major UK retailers
- business reports, magazines and product guides for companies in the financial services sector
I am client-focused and flexible, have excellent organisational skills, am used to tight deadlines and am often able to accept smaller jobs at short notice for quick turnaround.
Attention to detail, high-quality work, flexibility, adherence to deadlines and excellent customer service have all ensured that Proofed Beyond Doubt has grown rapidly, and I enjoy a high level of repeat business from satisfied clients.
- Business/business studies
- Financial regulation
- Personal finance
- Games and puzzles
- Organisational behaviour
- Office practice/skills
- On-screen proofreading
- Hard-copy proofreading
- Website editing
Qualifications and awards
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Bankers
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Management
- Diploma in Management Studies
- Certified Financial Adviser
- N M Rothschild & Sons
- Manulife Asset Management
- ADM Risk, Regulation & Strategy
- Meltemi Investment Management
- The Science Museum
- The Royal Society
- The Stationery Office (TSO)
- A Rocha
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- Efficient editing (SfEP) 2017
- Introduction to copy-editing (SfEP) 2012
- On-screen editing 1 (SfEP) 2010
- Introduction to web editorial skills (SfEP) 2010
- Working with non-publishers (SfEP) 2009
- Brush up your grammar (SfEP) 2009
- Proofreading problems (SfEP) 2009
- Basic proofreading – merit (Publishing Training Centre) 2009
- Going freelance and staying there (SfEP) 2008
- Introduction to proofreading (SfEP) 2008
- Corporate communications (magazines, brochures, reports, annual reports)
- Government and consultancy reports
- Children's books
- Games and puzzles
‘As a consultant I am responsible for creating carefully researched reports for clients which may be published (in full or in part). Gordon has become an invaluable asset to my business where the timelines are tight, the expectations are high and discretion is essential. He is professional and collegiate and is able to work with reports where the material might initially be presented to him out of sequence.
'Gordon also takes a keen interest in banking regulation and risk management, so he is the perfect ‘outside reader’ (and copy-editor) pointing out where clarification is needed, applying changes where necessary and supporting the continued evolution of my company’s style sheets.'
ADM Risk, Regulation & Strategy
'I found Gordon to be thorough, meticulous and accurate. His work is well researched and shows a high degree of care and initiative in trying to ensure that details are correct, inconsistencies ironed out and errors found. He was quick, reliable and flexible … Equally he was very helpful and creative in generating ideas for the style guide.'
A Rocha magazine
'As well as recommending changes to make the wording on the help screens and error messages even clearer, Gordon also suggested ways of making some of the navigation and other functionality more intuitive … We found Gordon to be very thorough and very flexible, and his feedback was clear and precise, with logical explanations and detailed solutions.'
Mooloop web design