|Location||CHESTER, CH1, Cheshire|
|Mobile||07851 433 505|
✅ Non-fiction copy-editing and proofreading ✅ Business editing
I’m a copy-editor and proofreader who works with trade non-fiction publishers, and with other businesses such as marketing and consultancy firms. My specialisms include IT, business and sport.
I have a strong track record of completing work thoroughly, efficiently and on time, with consistently positive feedback from customers. I’ve edited or proofread over 40 books, nearly 90 business reports and many other items.
If you think I could help you, please get in touch and tell me what you need.
Copy-editing for publishers
Using Microsoft Word with Track Changes and commenting.
Proofreading for publishers
Marking up PDF documents in:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader – using the Comment feature
- PDF-XChange Editor – using stamps for the BSI symbols, or other notation as required.
This flexible service can be of great help in enhancing a business’s written material – such as reports, proposals, newsletters and marketing content – by:
- making it clear, concise, readable, coherent, consistent and professional
- considering the target audience and its specific needs, along with key business priorities
- eliminating jargon, business-speak and overblown language.
I normally either use Microsoft Word (with Track Changes and commenting) or mark up PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader (using the Comment feature), but can also consider other methods.
Style guide deveIopment
Creating or revising a style guide, to help ensure consistency in an organisation’s written output.
Editing and proofreading
- Books: trade non-fiction (mainly sport, including football and cricket), academic, educational/professional, self-help, fiction
- Business documents: reports, reviews, bids, proposals
- Marketing material: client magazines, newsletters, website content, blog posts, catalogue, menus
- Online training material, staff training guides
- Research papers, articles, theses, dissertations, essays
- School reports
- Ongoing revision and updating of a corporate style guide
- Creating a style guide for a publisher
- Review of the ‘brand lexicon’ for a hotel chain’s menus
Eclipse Publishing & Media | Integra (for Palgrave Macmillan) | Pitch Publishing | Prestel | RefineCatch (for Bloomsbury) | Swales & Willis (for Taylor & Francis / Focal Press, Routledge) | Taylor & Francis / Routledge | TSO (The Stationery Office) | Wearset (for Taylor & Francis / Routledge)
Auriel Equities – asset management | Construction Marketing Experts | Grist – B2B communications agency | Harry, Larry & Gary – design agency | Hartey Wealth Management | Intuitus – IT consultancy | Rowan – marketing agency | Various other businesses
Independent authors | Researchers, students, freelances, jobseekers
Training, CPD and education
- Plain English for Editors (2019)
- Editing Digital Content (2019)
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (2017)
- Mentoring for Copy-Editing (2016)
- Copy-Editing Progress (2016)
- Mentoring for Proofreading (2014)
- Proofreading Progress (2014)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (2014)
- Introduction to Proofreading (2013)
- Copy-Editing – Merit (2015)
- Basic Proofreading – Merit (2014)
- Online Content: Writing and Editing Skills (2018)
PRINCE2 (project management):
- Accreditation at Foundation level (2008)
CPD (continuing professional development)
- Regular involvement in SfEP local groups: attending many meetings, and coordinating the Manchester group for two years
- Frequently using and contributing to the SfEP’s online forums, including two years as an administrator
- Attending each annual SfEP conference from 2015 to 2019
- Reading articles and books on editing, proofreading and related subjects such as plain language
BSc (Hons) Data Processing – Loughborough University, 1987
I worked in IT for 26 years as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government (US, state-level), telecommunications and retail sectors. Employers: British Rail, Strategic Systems Solutions, Pinkerton Computer Consultants, Capgemini.
I’m also the author of a book on the history of football, rugby and all related sports.
I can work with most subjects, but have specialist knowledge of the following:
- Information technology – analysis, computer programming, testing, project management, quality assurance, support
- Sport and its history
- Rock and pop music
I also have substantial experience of editing business material.
Graham has copy-edited several books for us and his work has consistently been of a very high standard. His application of house style and attention to detail is nothing short of excellent and I am happy to recommend him.
Dean Rockett, Pitch Publishing
We three would like to thank you profusely for the detailed, expert work that you are doing on our book manuscript. Indeed, we are scratching our heads and trying to recall if any of us have ever seen better copy-editing!
Mary Elise Sarotte, Dean’s Professor of History, University of Southern California
We use Graham as a regular editor of our business reports, a task to which he brings both a keen eye for detail and an instinctive sense of style … He copes well with the vagaries of our ever-changing timelines, is able to handle challenges well beyond normal editorial services, and is always professional. I recommend him very highly.
C. J. Rowe, delivery and quality manager
Graham's work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. His can-do attitude and efficient approach make him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
Editor, B2B content marketing agency