|Mobile||07851 433 505|
I’m a dependable copy-editor and proofreader, with extensive training and wide experience. I have a strong track record of completing jobs thoroughly, efficiently and on time, with consistently positive feedback from customers.
My main focus is on working for publishing companies and other businesses. Specialisms include sport and information technology.
As part of my active involvement in the SfEP, I’ve had two-year spells as Manchester local group coordinator and as one of the online forum administrators.
If you’d like to discuss potential work, please get in touch and tell me what you’re looking for.
Further information, including a portfolio and a full list of testimonials, is on my website.
- Using Word with Track Changes
- On paper, using BSI symbols
- PDF mark-up via Adobe Acrobat Reader (using the Comment feature), or PDF-XChange Viewer (using BSI proofreading stamps, or other notation as required)
- On paper, using BSI symbols
For other customers
Different levels of editing or proofreading, according to your needs, using Word or PDF documents. I can also help you to create or revise a style guide.
- Books: mainstream non-fiction (mainly sport, including football and cricket), academic (mainly humanities), educational, fiction
- Business reports/documents
- Client magazines
- Website content, marketing material, menus, staff training guides
- Research papers, articles, theses, dissertations, essays
- School reports
- Integra (for Palgrave Macmillan)
- Pitch Publishing
- RefineCatch (for Bloomsbury)
- Swales & Willis (for Taylor & Francis / Focal Press, Routledge)
- Taylor & Francis / Routledge
- Wearset (for Taylor & Francis / Routledge)
- Auriel Capital (asset management)
- Booths (supermarkets)
- Bulletin (public relations consultancy)
- Construction Marketing Experts
- Grist (B2B communications agency)
- Harry, Larry & Gary (design agency)
- Intuitus (IT consultancy)
- Various other businesses
- Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS)
- Kelsall Parish Council, Cheshire
- King Edward VI School, Southampton
- Independent authors
- Students, researchers
Education and training
BSc Data Processing (Loughborough University, 1987)
PRINCE2 (project management) accreditation at Foundation level (2008)
- Efficient Editing: Strategies and Tactics (2017)
- Copy-Editing Mentoring scheme (2016)
- Copy-Editing Progress (2016)
- Proofreading Mentoring scheme (2014)
- Proofreading Progress (2014)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (2014)
- Introduction to Proofreading (2013)
- Copy-Editing – Merit (2015)
- Basic Proofreading – Merit (2014)
- Proofreading and Copy-Editing (2012)
I worked in IT for 26 years as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government (US, state-level), telecommunications and retail sectors. This gave me great experience of working methodically, with an emphasis on planning and attention to detail.
Employers: British Rail, Strategic Systems Solutions, Pinkerton Computer Consultants, Capgemini.
I am also the author of a book on the history of football, rugby and all related sports.
I can work with most subjects, but I have specialist knowledge of the following:
- Information technology (analysis, computer programming, testing, project management, quality assurance, support)
- Sport and its history
- Rock and pop music.
Graham has copy-edited several books for us and his work has consistently been of a very high standard. His application of house style and attention to detail is nothing short of excellent and I am happy to recommend him.
Dean Rockett, Pitch Publishing
We three would like to thank you profusely for the detailed, expert work that you are doing on our book manuscript. Indeed, we are scratching our heads and trying to recall if any of us have ever seen better copy-editing!
Mary Elise Sarotte, Dean’s Professor of History, University of Southern California
We use Graham as a regular editor of our business reports, a task to which he brings both a keen eye for detail and an instinctive sense of style … He copes well with the vagaries of our ever-changing timelines, is able to handle challenges well beyond normal editorial services, and is always professional. I recommend him very highly.
C J Rowe, delivery and quality manager
Graham's work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. His can-do attitude and efficient approach make him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
Editor, B2B content marketing agency