|Location||GH Editorial, CHESTER CH1 (address available on request)|
|Mobile||07851 433 505|
I am a reliable copy-editor and proofreader, with extensive training and a wide range of experience. I have a strong track record of completing jobs thoroughly, efficiently and on schedule, with consistently positive feedback from customers.
As part of my active involvement in the SfEP, I am the Manchester local group coordinator and was one of the Society’s online forum administrators for two years.
To discuss potential work or to ask for a quote, please get in touch and tell me about your needs.
For further information, including an up-to-date portfolio and a fuller list of testimonials, you can visit my website.
- Using Word with Track Changes
- On paper, using BSI symbols
- PDF mark-up via Adobe Acrobat Reader (using the Comment feature) or via PDF-XChange Viewer (using BSI proofreading stamps, or other notation as required)
- On paper, using BSI symbols
Style guide development
- Creation or revision of style guides
- Books: academic, educational, other non-fiction, fiction
- Magazines, newsletters
- Business documents
- Website content, marketing material, menus
- Research papers, articles, theses, dissertations, essays
- Short stories
- CVs, personal statements
- Integra (for Palgrave Macmillan)
- Pitch Publishing
- RefineCatch (for Bloomsbury)
- Swales & Willis (for Taylor & Francis / Focal Press, Routledge)
- Taylor & Francis / Routledge
- Wearset (for Taylor & Francis / Routledge)
- Auriel Capital (asset management)
- Booths (supermarkets)
- Bulletin (public relations consultancy)
- Construction Marketing Experts
- Grist (B2B communications agency)
- Harry, Larry & Gary (design agency)
- Intuitus (IT consultancy)
- Various other businesses
Public sector / non-profit
- Independent authors
- Students, job-seekers, freelances
Education and training
BSc Data Processing (Loughborough University, 1987)
PRINCE2 (project management) accreditation at Foundation level (2008)
- Copy-Editing Mentoring scheme (2016)
- Copy-Editing Progress (2016)
- Proofreading Mentoring scheme (2014)
- Proofreading Progress (2014)
- Introduction to Copy-Editing (2014)
- Introduction to Proofreading (2013)
- Copy-Editing – Merit (2015)
- Basic Proofreading – Merit (2014)
The Writers Bureau: Proofreading and Copy-Editing (2012)
Plain Language Commission: Writing in Plain Language (2016)
I previously worked in IT for 26 years as an analyst, developer, project manager and team leader, in the transport, financial services, government (US, state-level), telecommunications and retail sectors. This gave me great experience of working methodically, with an emphasis on planning and attention to detail.
Employers: British Rail, Strategic Systems Solutions, Pinkerton Computer Consultants, Capgemini.
I am also the author of a book on the history of football, rugby and all related sports.
I can work with most subjects, and much of my editorial work has been in the humanities (particularly recent international history) and business-related material (for example, insurance, health care and legal services), but I have specialist knowledge of the following:
- Information technology (analysis, computer programming, testing, project management, quality management, support)
- Sport and its history
- Rock and pop music.
Graham has copy-edited several books for us and his work has consistently been of a very high standard. His application of house style and attention to detail is nothing short of excellent and I am happy to recommend him.
Dean Rockett, Pitch Publishing
We three would like to thank you profusely for the detailed, expert work that you are doing on our book manuscript. Indeed, we are scratching our heads and trying to recall if any of us have ever seen better copy-editing!
Mary Elise Sarotte, Dean’s Professor of History, University of Southern California
We use Graham as a regular editor of our business reports, a task to which he brings both a keen eye for detail and an instinctive sense of style … He copes well with the vagaries of our ever-changing timelines, is able to handle challenges well beyond normal editorial services, and is always professional. I recommend him very highly.
C J Rowe, delivery and quality manager
Graham's work has consistently been accurate, comprehensive and insightful. His can-do attitude and efficient approach make him a valuable asset to any publishing enterprise.
Editor, B2B content marketing agency
I have nothing but praise for Graham, who helped me greatly with my fantasy manuscript when I was in a tight spot. He communicated with me often and asked questions that needed to be asked to get the best out of my manuscript. I also found that Graham educated me greatly on style sheets and consistency issues that I was not aware of. Because of this, I am very interested in Graham completing the rest of my trilogy as he did a fine job.
Thomas R. Gaskin, author