|Location||Saltaire Editorial Services, SHIPLEY, West Yorkshire|
Editing, proofreading and writing for academic authors, independent non-fiction authors, research bodies, businesses and government organisations.
I am committed to making sure your written material is clear, correct and consistent. If you are submitting your document for publication – to an academic journal, funding body or government agency, for example – I will help you to increase the chance your work will be accepted.
Why choose me?
- I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP).
- I am a native English speaker. This is particularly important if English is not your first language.
- I am committed to meeting your deadlines.
- I am friendly, helpful and flexible.
I served as marketing and PR director on the SfEP national council from Sept 2010 to Sept 2012. In 2013 I was awarded the SfEP's Judith Butcher Award 'for significantly raising the national and international profile of the SfEP, and the work of editors and proofreaders in general' through my voluntary work on social media.
- public policy
- management (human resources, organisational development)
- education and training (particularly vocational)
- labour markets
- employment policy
- regional studies
- healthcare policy
- public relations
- business (management, marketing, organisational behaviour)
- social sciences
- International Correspondents in Education (European Training Foundation)
- individual academic authors
- University of Huddersfield
- Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
- editing non-native English
- on-screen editing
- on-screen proofreading
- web page/site editing
- web page/site writing
- pre-submission journal articles
- magazines and newsletters
- corporate communications
- press releases
- social media
Qualifications and awards
- SfEP advanced professional member
- BA (Hons) English (1986)
- Institute of Health Services Management Diploma (1991)
- Diploma in Copywriting (2010)
Freelance since 1995
- Various workshops and seminars at SfEP annual conferences 2009-2018
- Various workshops and seminars at Mediterranean Editors and Translators conference 2016
- Introduction to web editorial skills (SfEP) 2011
- Brush up your grammar (SfEP) 2005
- Working for non-publishers (SfEP) 2002
- Web editing and proofreading (SfEP) 2002
Thank you for taking on this work for me. It is a great relief to have a professional both polishing the English and formatting the articles properly for the journals. With you in the production line, the research output of me and my colleagues (particularly me) has been greatly improved.
Professor Dr Glenn Jenkins, Queen's University (Canada) and Eastern Mediterranean University, Institute Fellow Emeritus, Harvard University
Thank you very much for your hard work during the year. It is really great to be able to rely on your top editing skills and total professionalism, plus, of course, that dry Yorkshire sense of humour.
Rebecca Warden, Director, International Correspondents in Education (ICE)
The editor’s comments were very specific, comprehensive and well done, I liked particularly that she spotted in comments all the variations that may have caused troubles or needed to be double checked again. So it was a very good editing I must say, thanks a lot for that. Please pass this comment to the editor, I have rarely seen such a good job.
Feedback from EU agency
Thank you so much. As always, you’ve resolved so much that I’ve missed and I cannot thank you enough.
Dr Robert Thomas, Senior Lecturer, University of South Wales
I've now had a chance to look through your report and am enormously impressed. It's just what we wanted – and more. Thanks so much!
Independent editorial trainer for whom I prepared a marketing plan
Thank you for all your hard work and, above all, your total reliability. I seem increasingly to spend my time chasing up things that should have been done by others so I don't have time to do my own job! It's a pleasure to work with a professional.
Editorial director, UK publishing company
I just wanted to say that we have been very pleased with your work – such a high quality. It has been a pleasure working with you, and I hope we can do so again in the future.
University professor overseeing peer-reviewed student research journal
Many thanks for your terrific work! You caught a number of grammatical and factual errors that slipped right by me. Well done!
Independent non-fiction author