|Location||UK-based, with global clients|
|Mobile||07504 550 444|
A friendly and versatile editor, copywriter and proofreader working with NGOs/charities, B2B and public-sector clients.
Need an editorial nip and tuck? Help is at hand.
Copy-editing: You may have already written something, but know it’s not up to scratch. I'll check the basics such as grammar and spelling, and ensure concision, assess the concept, meaning and overall structure.
Copywriting: Are you struggling to find the time to write or staring at a blank page? I’ve spent my career working with words, so I’ll find just the right ones to communicate your message.
Proofreading: Everyone makes mistakes! Let me find them for you. I'll give your project a once-over before it’s immortalised in print or online.
Whatever your project type – print, digital or film – outsource and make your life easier...
- Editing non-native English
- Developmental/substantive editing
- Creative or editorial project management
- Website writing and editing
- Marketing consultancy
- Interviewing beneficiaries/customers for publication and research
- Photojournalism and international story-gathering
- Film scriptwriting.
Subject knowledge and experience
- Global development issues: climate change and the environment, healthcare, food, hunger and sustainable livelihoods, trade, economics, campaigns and policy, poverty, disaster emergency and relief, civil conflict, human rights, women's rights and gender equality, religious oppression, ethnic minorities, community rights-based development, science and technology, corruption and transparency.
- Charity and philanthropy in the UK: issues affecting older people, social exclusion, disability, child protection and welfare, young people, faith-based organisations.
- Property and lifestyle: retail, commercial and residential architecture and design, awards, art, parklands, festivals, sports and community engagement, travel.
- Business: investment and innovation funding, human resources management, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and start-ups, construction, education (graduate level).
- Medical/healthcare: pharmaceuticals (marketing consultancy for patient experience and engagement resources), public health information, antenatal and postnatal healthcare, epidemics/disease, water and sanitation.
- Consumer/sales: beverages, private education and healthcare.
Sample of clients from all sectors
- Charity and NGOs: Global Witness, Tearfund, Age UK Essex
- Public sector: Essex County Council, The Olympic Park (with associated design agencies)
- B2B: International Property Media, Guildprime Specialist Contracts, Haremi
- B2C: Association of Business Executives, SMEs working in various industries, such as postnatal healthcare, beverages, innovation funding etc
- Social enterprise: Positive News, Seahorse Education.
- Educational materials
- Websites/blogs - digital resources
- Corporate literature
- Direct marketing literature, including fundraising and campaigning multimedia resources
- Research reports and analysis/White papers.
Qualifications and training
- National Council for the Training of Journalists: Writing for the periodical press, Basics of subediting, Interviewing skills and Sharpening your English courses.
- Communications, Advertising and Marketing Foundation: Sales promotion and direct marketing.
- City University: Advanced features writing, tutored by Guardian journalist Melissa Benn.
- Educare/NSPCC: Child protection awareness and safeguarding children and young people.
- Aberystwyth University: BA Drama/Theatre Arts and Stagecraft.
- I am also a professional member of the Pro Copywriters' Network.
It's not all talk – take a look at my print and online portfolio here.
Jo is a true professional. Her approach of getting to know you and understand what you want to achieve through your writing was refreshing and enabled me develop a sense of trust and confidence in working together. I appreciate Jo’s creative and technical experience together with her sense of humour.
Ashvale Consultancy Limited
Jo was extremely thorough, flexible and adapted to our organisational style. She was well worth the fee she charged and I would highly recommend her.
Jo Johnston is a highly versatile and reliable writer. I commissioned her freelance services at short notice and was delighted to find that she was quick to interpret what was needed and able to produce accurate copy well within deadline. The work involved creating content for an extensive international brochure sourced from text that was often in broken English and sometimes over technical for the readership.
International Property Media
An extremely creative, helpful and conscientious copywriter who quickly understood the brief and delivered words that got under the hood of the services we provide. Just as importantly Jo pushed the boundaries of that brief to bring us fresh insights and possibilities.
Guildprime Specialist Contracts Ltd
Jo is a results-oriented editor. She works hard to meet deadlines and has an ability to work in cross-cultural settings.