|Location||UK-based, with global clients|
|Mobile||07504 550 444|
A friendly and versatile editor, copywriter and proofreader working with NGOs/charities, B2B and public-sector clients
Need an editorial nip and tuck? Help is at hand.
Copy-editing: You've already written something, but know it’s not up to scratch. Let's finesse what you've got. It's a given that I'll check the basics such as grammar and spelling. But I'll also ensure concision, assess the concept, meaning and overall structure.
Copywriting: You may be struggling to find the time to write or your editorial team is under pressure. Panic over. I’ve spent my career working with words, so I’ll cherry-pick just the right ones to communicate your message.
Proofreading: Everyone makes mistakes. Let me find them for you. I'll give your project a once-over before it’s immortalised in print or online. We all know that perfection requires teamwork.
Whatever your project type, my pen's poised for action.
Subject knowledge and experience (feel free to throw me a curve ball)
- Global development issues: climate change and the environment, healthcare, sustainable livelihoods, trade, economics, campaigns and policy, poverty, disaster emergency and relief, civil conflict, human rights, gender equality, religious oppression, ethnic minorities, community rights-based development, science and technology, corruption and transparency, counter-terrorism education.
- Charity and philanthropy in the UK: issues affecting older people, social exclusion, disability, child protection and welfare, young people, faith-based organisations.
- Property and lifestyle: retail, commercial and residential architecture and design, awards, art, parklands, festivals, sports and community engagement, international travel, hotels and spas.
- Business: investment and innovation funding, human resources management, small and medium-sized enterprises and start-ups, construction, education (post-graduate level).
- Medical/healthcare: pharmaceuticals (marketing consultancy for patient experience and engagement resources), public health information, antenatal and postnatal healthcare, epidemics/diseases, water and sanitation.
- Consumer/sales: beverages, spas and well-being, private education and healthcare.
My type of client
I write and edit for an eclectic mix of organisations and businesses. This is what I love about my job, and what keeps me on my tippy-toes. Here's a sample of clients from across all sectors:
- Charity and NGOs: Global Witness, Syria Resilience Consortium, Institute for Strategic Dialogue
- Public sector: Essex County Council, The Olympic Park (with design agencies), The Brandon Centre
- B2B: International Property Media, Guildprime Specialist Contracts, Haremi
- B2C: Association of Business Executives, small businesses and start-ups working in various industries, such as postnatal and primary healthcare, beverages, education etc
- Social enterprise: Positive News, Seahorse Education.
To see more clients, click here.
- Editing non-native English
- Developmental/substantive editing
- Creative or editorial project management
- Website writing and editing
- Marketing consultancy
- Interviewing beneficiaries/customers for publication and research
- Photojournalism and international story-gathering
- Film and animation scriptwriting.
- Educational courses and materials
- Websites/blogs/content marketing - digital resources
- Magazines, brochures
- Corporate literature
- Annual reports
- Direct marketing literature, including fundraising and campaigning multimedia resources
- Films, animation
- Research reports and analysis/White papers.
Qualifications and training
- National Council for the Training of Journalists: Writing for the periodical press, Basics of subediting, Interviewing skills and Sharpening your English courses.
- Communications, Advertising and Marketing Foundation: Sales promotion and direct marketing.
- City University: Advanced features writing, tutored by Guardian journalist Melissa Benn.
- Educare/NSPCC: Child protection awareness and safeguarding children and young people.
- BBC Training. Production Team Workshop.
- Aberystwyth University: BA Drama/Theatre Arts and Stagecraft.
- I am also a professional member of the ProCopywriters' Alliance.
- Life before freelancing. I have 12 years' experience working in-house in marketing and communications for large NGOs. At the start of my career, I worked in scheduling and transmissions for BBC Programme Acquisition and as an assistant to three Exec Producers in BBC Single Drama and Films.
Portfolio (need hard evidence?)
It's not all talk – take a look at my print and online portfolio here.
Let's talk bees and honey (money)
So, how much will an editor or proofreader charge?
The minimum industry-standard rates look a little like this:
- £24 an hour for proofreading
- £32 an hour for copywriting/copy-editing
- £33 an hour for photojournalism/editorial project management.
A few dos:
- I do ask for a brief before starting work
- I often ask for a deposit or part-payment before I begin if you're a new client
- I do charge a cancellation fee if the work is withdrawn after commission.
A few don'ts:
- I don't price by the word
- I don't give free writing samples
- I don't give the game away by publicising your project before it goes live.
Get in touch and I'll get a wriggle on!
Jo Johnston is a highly versatile and reliable writer. I commissioned her freelance services at short notice and was delighted to find that she was quick to interpret what was needed and able to produce accurate copy well within deadline. The work involved creating content for an extensive international brochure sourced from text that was often in broken English and sometimes over technical for the readership.
International Property Media
Jo was extremely thorough, flexible and adapted to our organisational style. She was well worth the fee she charged and I would highly recommend her.
An extremely creative, helpful and conscientious copywriter who quickly understood the brief and delivered words that got under the hood of the services we provide. Just as importantly Jo pushed the boundaries of that brief to bring us fresh insights and possibilities.
Guildprime Specialist Contracts Ltd
Jo is a results-oriented editor. She works hard to meet deadlines and has an ability to work in cross-cultural settings.
Jo is a true professional. Her approach of getting to know you and understand what you want to achieve through your writing was refreshing and enabled me develop a sense of trust and confidence in working together. I appreciate Jo’s creative and technical experience together with her sense of humour.
Ashvale Consultancy Limited