|Location||WordFire Communications, Fakenham, Norfolk|
- Editor, proofreader, writer, project manager and communications specialist.
- Particular experience of non-fiction structural editing, including developing and project managing vocational and FE textbooks and tutor materials.
- Author of an e-book for a business qualification, contributor to a revision book for a creative media production qualification and author of three plastering textbooks.
- Copywriter of digital and hard-copy content for marketing agencies.
- Member of SfEP’s social media team, frequent contributor to SfEP’s blog and active participant in SfEP conferences.
- Member of Norfolk Proofreaders & Editors Network (NPEN).
Please note that I do not work on student theses or fiction, although I love reading novels and may be able to provide a critical review of your story.
- Editorial: copy-editing, development editing, hard-copy proofreading, non-native English editing, on-screen editing, on-screen proofreading, PDF mark-up, plain English editing, compiling style guides, substantive editing
- Management and specialist: briefing, consultancy, clearing copyright, matching content to qualification specifications, managing photo shoots, identifying plagiarism, project management, quality assurance, research
- Online/digital: content testing, search engine optimisation (SEO), web content auditing, web content strategy, web content writing and editing
- Writing: copywriting, repurposing, rewriting, technical writing, matching tone of voice
- Non-fiction material: case studies, course materials, directories, distance-learning materials, educational materials, forms, handbooks, illustrated books, multi-author books, multiple-choice test questions, qualification specifications, teaching materials, technical reports, test and exam papers, textbooks, travel guides
- Corporate communications: annual reports, articles, bid and tender documents, business reports, corporate publications, government reports, manuals, marketing materials, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, press releases, questionnaires and surveys, white papers
- Online/digital: blog posts, CD-ROMs/DVDs, e-books, e-newsletters, podcasts, social media, web content, websites
Freelance since 2011
In-house employment: Publishing and creative services manager, Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), 2004–11; senior editor, Harcourt Education (now Pearson), 2002–04; editor, AA Publishing, 2000–02; editing assistant, Endat Group (now ESI Ltd), 1998–2000
- SfEP conferences 2011, 2013 (session leader), 2014 (session leader), 2015 (lightning talk), 2016 (session leader)
- Fiction professional editing day (SfEP) 2016
- Regular attendance of SfEP's Norfolk local group meetings
- Professional Copywriters’ Network conferences 2013, 2014, 2015
- Efficient copy-editing (SfEP) 2013 and 2017
- Getting work with non-publishers (SfEP) 2013
- Brush up your proofreading (SfEP) 2010
- Brush up your copy-editing (SfEP) 2010
Publishing/editorial clients include:
- AA Publishing: copy-editing and proofreading travel guides
- Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA): editing membership handbook
- Balberry Publishing: copy-editing TEFL guides
- Construction Industry Training Board (CITB): copy-editing and proofreading health and safety manuals; copy-editing and co-ordinating Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 industry guidance
- ConstructionSkills (awarding body): copy-editing assessment material
- Gateway Qualifications (awardng body): editing and proofreading promotional material
- Hodder Education: project managing and development editing textbooks for new Cambridge technicals qualifications
- Nelson Thornes: project managing and development editing textbooks for new qualifications
- OCR (awarding body): proofreading and copy-editing student guides; compiling in-house style guide; compiling in-house copyright guidance
- Out of House Publishing: copy-editing teacher’s guides; copy-editing and development editing BTEC Revise student guides and workbooks (Science and Health and social care)
- Oxford University Press: writing and development editing textbooks and e-books for new qualifications
- Pearson: writing core unit and development editing BTEC Revise Creative Media Production student guide and workbook; development editing BTEC National Construction textbook for a revised qualification
- Business: business to business (B2B), direct marketing, e-business, management, marketing, office skills, public sector procurement, quality standards, small businesses
- Construction: bricklaying, Building Regulations, built environment, carpentry, construction industry legislation, health and safety, planning/surveying, plastering
- Education: distance learning, e-learning, exam preparation/revision, further education (FE), literacy resources, pre-school/early years, reading schemes, primary, testing, vocational qualifications
- Sustainability: alternative technologies, climate change, conservation, environmental education, green issues, renewable energy, sustainable development, town planning, waste management/recycling
- Other: Canada, childcare, computers and IT, health and social care, hotels, literature, Norfolk and East Anglia, nutrition/dieting/keto/LCHF, tourism, travel, ukuleles
- BA Hons English Literature (University of Oxford)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies (Chartered Management Institute)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) expert user (band score 9)