|Location||WordFire Communications, Fakenham, Norfolk|
Get in touch if you think I can make your message clear.
Editing, writing, proofreading, project management, advice... let me work with your words.
- Particular experience of non-fiction structural editing, including developing and project managing vocational and FE textbooks and tutor materials.
- Author of an ebook for a business qualification, contributor to a revision book for a creative media production qualification and author of three plastering textbooks.
- Copywriter of digital and hard-copy content for marketing agencies.
- Member of SfEP’s social media team, frequent contributor to SfEP’s blog and active participant in SfEP conferences.
- Member of Norfolk Proofreaders & Editors Network (NPEN).
Please note that I do not work on student dissertations or fiction, although I love reading novels and may be able to provide a critical review of your story.
- Editorial: copy-editing, development editing, hard-copy proofreading, non-native English editing, on-screen editing, on-screen proofreading, PDF mark-up, plain English editing, compiling style guides, substantive editing
- Management and specialist: briefing, consultancy, clearing copyright, matching content to qualification specifications, managing photo shoots, identifying plagiarism, project management, quality assurance, research
- Online/digital: content testing, search engine optimisation (SEO), web content auditing, web content strategy, web content writing and editing
- Writing: copywriting, repurposing, rewriting, technical writing, matching tone of voice
- Non-fiction material: case studies, course materials, directories, distance-learning materials, educational materials, forms, handbooks, illustrated books, multi-author books, multiple-choice test questions, qualification specifications, teaching materials, technical reports, test and exam papers, textbooks, travel guides
- Corporate communications: annual reports, articles, bid and tender documents, business reports, corporate publications, government reports, manuals, marketing materials, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, press releases, questionnaires and surveys, white papers
- Online/digital: blog posts, CD-ROMs/DVDs, ebooks, enewsletters, podcasts, social media, web content, websites
Self-employed since 2011.
In-house employment: working in publishing and marketing departments not only honed my editorial skills but also developed my management and relationship-building expertise.
- Publishing and creative services manager, Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), 2004–11.
- Senior editor, Harcourt Education (now Pearson), 2002–04.
- Editor, AA Publishing, 2000–02.
- Editing assistant, Endat Group (now ESI Ltd), 1998–2000.
Voluntary work: I've been a town councillor since 2015, so have plenty of experience of working within strict parameters and making decisions via committee. I'm the vice-chair of the Leisure and Environment Committee and also the council's unofficial press officer.
- SfEP conferences 2011, 2013 (session leader: social media for editors), 2014 (session leader: Twitter for editors), 2015 (lightning talk: my experience of learning British Sign Language), 2016 (session leader: getting out of your comfort zone), 2017 (session leader: working with business clients)
- Norfolk SfEP local group meetings (every two months)
- Professional Copywriters’ Network conferences 2013, 2014, 2015
- Efficient copy-editing (SfEP) 2013 and 2017
- Fiction professional editing day (SfEP) 2016
- Getting work with non-publishers (SfEP) 2013
- Brush up your proofreading (SfEP) 2010
- Brush up your copy-editing (SfEP) 2010
Publishing/editorial clients include:
- AA Publishing: copy-editing and proofreading travel guides
- Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA): editing membership handbook
- Aspire (Australia): consulting on redeveloping a business ebook
- Balberry Publishing: copy-editing TEFL guides
- Consortium of large construction companies: consulting services and editing guidance on safe practice when constructing tall buildings
- Construction Industry Training Board (CITB): copy-editing and proofreading health and safety manuals; copy-editing and co-ordinating Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 industry guidance
- ConstructionSkills (awarding body): copy-editing assessment material
- Gateway Qualifications (awarding body): editing and proofreading promotional material
- Hodder Education: project managing and development editing textbooks for new Cambridge Technicals qualifications
- Nelson Thornes: project managing and development editing textbooks for new qualifications
- OCR (awarding body): proofreading and copy-editing student guides; compiling in-house style guide; compiling in-house copyright guidance
- Out of House Publishing: copy-editing teacher’s guides; copy-editing and development editing BTEC Revise student guides and workbooks (Science and Health and social care)
- Oxford University Press: writing and development editing textbooks and ebooks for new qualifications
- Pearson: writing core unit and development editing BTEC Revise Creative Media Production student guide and workbook; development editing several other BTEC Revise subjects; development editing BTEC National Construction textbook for a revised qualification
- Business: business to business (B2B), direct marketing, e-business, management, marketing, office skills, public sector procurement, quality standards, small businesses
- Construction: bricklaying, Building Regulations, built environment, carpentry, construction industry legislation, health and safety, planning/surveying, plastering
- Education: distance learning, e-learning, exam preparation/revision, further education (FE), literacy resources, preschool/early years, reading schemes, primary, testing, vocational qualifications
- Sustainability: alternative technologies, climate change, conservation, environmental education, green issues, renewable energy, sustainable development, town planning, waste management/recycling
- Other: Canada, childcare, computers and IT, health and social care, hotels, literature, local government (town councils, parish councils, planning), Norfolk and East Anglia, nutrition (dieting, intermittent fasting, keto, ketogenic, LCHF, low carb), tourism, travel, ukuleles
- BA Hons English Literature (Hertford College, University of Oxford)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies (Chartered Management Institute)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) expert user (band score 9)