|Julia Slone-Murphy, PhD|
Formerly a neuroscientist and pharmacologist in industry and academia, UK and abroad, now a science editor with 10+ years’ editing experience for independent clients and internationally recognised publishing services companies. I am also a member of the European Association of Science Editors (EASE) and Mediterranean Editors and Translators (MET), and I am certified by the Board of Editors in the Life Sciences (BELS).
I founded NeuroEdit Ltd to help researchers publish their work in high-impact journals with an international readership. Approachable, communicative, thorough, reliable, punctual, and ethical, I am genuinely passionate about helping my clients present their work clearly and effectively.
Please note: I am now focusing on my directorial role at NeuroEdit and not currently accepting freelance assignments. However, please do feel free to contact me if you would like your work edited by NeuroEdit. I closely monitor all work done in the company and I am personally committed to my responsibility of ensuring we maintain the highest possible standards.
- Scientific editing
- Improving clarity, structure, flow, conciseness, consistency and impact of written material
- On-screen editing
- Substantive/developmental editing; rewriting
- Non-native English (ESL) editing
- Editing into plain English
- Editing in US or UK English
- Website copy editing
- Proofreading and quality control
- Translation (French to English)
- Editing of translated documents; post-editing
- Working to any style guide; creating client house style
- Editing of and/or feedback on figures, tables and references
- Layout/formatting in MS Word and PowerPoint
- Research (especially literature searches, obtaining published articles, reporting/summarising results)
- Consultancy throughout all stages of the research article publication process, from journal selection to peer review response
Journals, PowerPoint presentations, research posters, conference abstracts, multi-author books, websites/blogs
- Director (editor & translator), NeuroEdit, UK, 2005–present
- Scientific specialist, Arnold & Porter LLP, UK, 2009–10, 2012–16
- Postdoctoral researcher, National Centre of Scientific Research (CNRS), France, 2010–12
- Bench scientist, GlaxoSmithKline, UK, 2005–06
- Pharmacokineticist, Sanofi, UK, 2002–2003
References (SfEP) 2016, Editing with Word (SfEP) 2016, SfEP conferences 2015 and 2016 (including sessions on science publishing technology; managing and developing the skills of editors; LaTeX editing; US vs UK English).
- Springer Nature / Nature Research
- Cambridge University Press
- Charlesworth Group
- Researchers worldwide (academia and industry)
I have edited articles subsequently published in: PNAS, Journal of Neuroscience, Psychiatry Research, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, Neurobiology of Aging, Brain Research, Journal of Physiology, Journal of Neurochemistry, Journal of Psychiatric Research, Cell and Tissue Research, PLoS One, Behavioural Brain Research, Metabolic Brain Disease, International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, Cell and Molecular Neurobiology, Psychological Research, Brain Research Bulletin, Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, Scientific Reports, Neuroscience Letters, and more.
Neuroscience, neurology, neuropharmacology, neuroanatomy, pain, psychiatry, psychotherapy, psychology, behaviour, mental health, pharmacology, toxicology, genetics, molecular biology, physiology, anatomy, immunology, microbiology, medicine, clinical trials, patient information, biomedical sciences.
- BELS certification
- Advanced Professional membership of SfEP
- PhD Neuroscience
- MSc Neuroscience
- BSc Pharmacology with Industrial Experience
- EndNote, Mendeley
- ReferenceChecker, Edifix, PerfectIt 3
- British Library On Demand/document supply service (BLDSS)
This looks fantastic – you did a great job. I'll recommend you and your services to all my friends. Wonderful service provided. Extremely satisfied.
Paul Vickery, independent immunology researcher, USA
Very carefully edited and beautifully readable paper, with clear and helpful comments.
Charlesworth Group, UK
I went through the index and all I can say is 'wow'! It looks very good. Thanks for all your efforts.
Principal investigator, National Centre of Scientific Research (CNRS), France
I was Julia's manager at Arnold & Porter for several years. We worked together on a number of complex legal cases requiring Julia's strong scientific background, combined with her excellent writing and translation skills. She was quick to fully understand the brief for any task and I could always rely on the accuracy, readability and timeliness of her work. She is a pleasure to work with and you always have the comfort of knowing that she will go to lengths to complete her work to the highest possible standard.
Dr Sam Samaratunga, Keystone Law, UK
After editing, I found the value of the manuscript enormously enhanced and I learnt a lot about common mistakes we non-native English speaking authors often make. I also appreciated her rapidity and precision, and communication with me and the other authors. I warmly recommend Dr. Slone-Murphy for improving the scientific value and the communicative power of your work.
Researcher, CNRS, France
I always deal with proofreaders. I always look for a quality job especially when submitting my work to journals and conference proceedings. Julia is really committed to fast work, great communication and professionalism. In fact, I don’t need to search any more for any proofreaders, I found what I was looking for. Thanks Julia for the great job.
PhD candidate, University of Rome, Italy