Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)
Six years' experience as an editor, writer and German to English translator
First-class BA (Hons) degree from the University of Bristol in German with Distinction (2013)
Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Translation with Distinction (2018)
I specialise in: non-fiction, food and drink, crafts, horticulture and gardening, journalism, lifestyle, arts, popular science, mental health, history and family history, German language and literature.
UK/US English, incl. copy-editing/proofreading of German to English translations
Software: Windows/Office 10, PerfectIt, Wordfast, InDesign
- copy-editing (on-screen or hard copy, in Microsoft Word using track changes and comment functions, or on PDFs)
- proofreading (using the British Standards Institution (BSI) mark-up symbols, blind or against copy, on hard copy or on-screen)
- website and app proofreading
- non-native English editing
- anglicization of US English content
- translation (German to English) and revision of German to English translations
- 'blind' proofreading of translations
- copywriting and feature writing
Food and Drink Content
One particular area of specialisation is cookery and food content (recipes, food content marketing, food-based travel guides, cookbooks and more). I have worked with major brands as a subeditor at Tesco Magazine, including Tate & Lyle, Fever-Tree and Thatchers Cider.
Magazines, non-fiction books, websites, blogs, online materials, apps, company literature, travel guides.
- Freelance since 2017
- Subeditor, Cedar Communications, 2016-17
- Editor, Staff Writer and German-English Translator, Bauer Media, 2013-16
- Tesco Magazine
- BBC One
- Mammoth Productions
- Cedar Communications
- Bauer Media
- Welt der Wunder
- The Freelancer's Cookbook
- North One TV
- The History Channel
- Tate & Lyle
- Woodcut Media
- Who Do You Think You Are Magazine
Food and drink, cookery and gastronomy, gardening and horticulture, crafts (knitting, sewing, and so on), tourism and travel, lifestyle, home and leisure, the German language, history, social history, European history, popular sciences, health, mental health.
- First Class BA (Hons) in German (2013)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Translation (Open University, 2018) with Distinction
- Microsoft Office/Word 2018
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- PoEdit (for apps)
- Forscene (for transcription and subtitling)
Your work on this is amazing - everything is super clear, and exactly what I was looking for. It's so useful to have another set of eyes on it.
Rose Parkin, The Freelancer's Cookbook
Thanks so much for all your help and efficiency (as always!) with this project. You are a great asset to the team, and your organisation, enthusiasm and loyalty have been very much appreciated.
Managing Editor, Tesco Magazine
Just wanted to give you a shout out for being 100% awesome. The team simply wouldn’t function without your ability to produce unfailingly high-quality work under a huge workload and lots of pressure. What you do is not easy, and the fact you keep doing it to such a high standard issue after issue is outstanding. It’s a pleasure to work with you.
Account Manager, Cedar Communications