I take what you write and help you to make your message clear to your target audience. Whether you've written a business report, a student thesis, a mathematics textbook or a science fiction novel, the information you're conveying needs to be clear for your readers.
I am a freelance copy-editor and proofreader based in Hampshire. My recent projects have included international development reports, school textbooks (maths, physics, chemistry, ICT), a book about the dangers of Brexit, a training manual on cosmetic surgery and business proposals responsing to tenders.
I can proofread on paper or online (using PDF mark-up tools or Track Changes in Word) and I can copy-edit using tags or styles.
I belong to an international editorial collective called Editing Globally, which means that if a client is looking for something that I may not be able to provide, I can call on a group of trusted colleagues, one of whom is sure to fit the bill. See our website at www.editingglobally.com
- Information technology – proofreading, copy-editing and formatting for PDF: training manuals, implementation guides, user guides, reports, product manuals, marketing material.
- Business, politics, finance, cybersecurity – proofreading, copy-editing and formatting for PDF and e-book: books, policies, procedures, standards, business reports, ISMS, brochures.
- International develpment – proofreading and formatting of international development reports, international development proposals.
- Maths, ICT and science (physics, chemistry, biology) – proofreading, copy-editing, fact checking, answer checking, proof collation: A level, IGCSE, GCSE and primary level textbooks for educational publishers.
- Sport (particularly football, rugby union, cricket and motor racing) – proofreading, copy-editing, fact-checking and formatting: biographies, history books, annuals.
- Fiction – proofreading, copy-editing: particular specialisms in YA, science fiction and fantasy, crime/detective novels and thrillers.
- Lifestyle – proofreading and fact-checking of luxury lifestyle magazines, science and technology, photography.
- Copy-editing and editing in UK or US English
- Proofreading and proof collation (using Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat)
- Answer-checking and fact-checking
- Website proofreading, editing and custom design
- Formatting and layout – design and creation of PDF training manuals, formatting/designing complex Microsoft Word documents and producing high quality PDFs, fomatting/typesetting ebooks for publication on Amazon or elsewhere
- Manipulating Microsoft Excel data – using maths formulae to produce relevant charts and incorporate them in documents and presentations
Business reports, textbooks, student workbooks, training manuals, football annuals, ISMS and other corporate policy and procedure documents, fiction, luxury magazines, student dissertations and theses, websites, popular science and other non-fiction books on a variety of subjects.
- Proofreading Headway – Society for Editors and Proofreaders
- Six Sigma White Belt – Process Management International (PMI)
- Brush up your grammar – Society for Editors and Proofreaders
- Word to Kindle Formatting Magic – McMullen
- Microsoft Word Advanced – Activia
- Adobe Acrobat Masterclass – Certitec
- Business Fundamentals – The Open University
- Ebook publishing – Framework Training
- Proofreading 1 – Society for Editors and Proofreaders
First Edition Translations, Chemonics, Itad, Pearson, Cambridge University Press, Scriptoria, Grange Communications, FMS, Youth Doctor Academy, British Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, Hodder, Routledge (Taylor & Francis), self-publishing authors, students.
BSc Physics, PGCE (Physics and Maths), PRINCE2 practitioner, Agile scrum master.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional
Recent titles I've worked on
- Why do you want what you want?
- Investigating prevalence and healthcare use of children with complex healthcare needs
- The Integrity of Love
- WAFM Mid-term evaluation
- Revise GCSE Maths Bootcamp Foundation
- BTEC DIT ActiveLearn Delivery Service (ALDS) Teacher Resource
- King Edward VI School Upper Sixth reports
- Pearson Maths IGCSE Revision
- Corporate Thematic Evaluation of UN Women’s Contribution to Governance ...
- Bon Vivant (luxury magazine)
- Development Indicators of Climate Risk (international development report)
- Cambridge ICT Starters: Initial Steps
- Brexit – a Betrayal of Conservatism? (self-published e-book)
- Official 2019 football annuals – Arsenal, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Manchester United
- Cambridge International AS and A Level Chemistry Practical Workbook
- BTEC Tech Award in Digital Information Technology Student Book
- Sunseeker Magazine
- Cambridge International AS and A Level Chemistry Practical Workbook
- Introduction to Aesthetics (training manual)
- AI enhancements for machine learning text editors (student thesis)
- Cambridge IGCSE Mathematics Core and Extended workbook
- Management by Seclusion: A Critique of World Bank Promises to End Global Poverty
- Cambridge IGCSE International Mathematics workbook
- Promoting Excellence in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Cambridge IGCSE Mathematics Core and Extended
- Max Weber's Vision for Bureaucracy: A Casualty of World War 1
- Whiplash: Risk Factors, Management and Long-term Effects
- Cambridge IGCSE International Mathematics
- Anthropology in the Mining Industry: Community Relations After Bougainville's Civil War
- Student Engagement in the Digital University
- Islamophobia is the New Racism (student dissertation)
- AQA Level 3 Certificate in Mathematical Studies
- Adapted Reflexology in Musculo-skeletal Pain
I started my career as a teacher – physics and maths up to A level, and science (chemistry and biology) to GCSE – before moving into computing / information technology, initially as a trainer (apprentices and repair engineers) and later as a consultant and project manager. I have worked with words throughout my career, writing training manuals and producing high-quality technical and business documents. In many roles I have been a department's developemnt editor, copy-editor and proofreader; in my recent information security / cybersecurity role, I have had extensive experience copy-editing and proofreading Information Security Management System (ISMS) policies and procedures. I started my freelance editorial work in 2013 alongside my business / information technology / information security work and completed the transition to a full-time freelance role in 2018. As a copy-editor and proofreader, I have worked on a broad range of business material, technical documents, educational titles (from science textbooks for primary school students to A level chemistry practical workbooks), international development reports, student theses (on subjects from epidemiology to Islamophobia), business documents, and books on subjects as diverse as politics and cosmetic surgery.
Other subject areas
Other subjects where I have a stong interest include:
Artificial intelligence, computer science, earth sciences, electronics, engineering, food and drink, geography, history (particularly military, political and science history), life science (biotechnology), nuclear physics, space science, theoretical computer science.
Martin has been fast, accurate, reliable, and incredibly helpful to me when I have had a publisher's deadline or queries about moving a book to production.
Glynn Cochrane, Professor of Anthropology.
Martin did a wonderful job in designing my manual in a very elegant pdf format. He took care of every detail, replied to every email with very specific answers, did exactly what I wanted and advised when there was something better than what I suggested.
Dr Tariq Sumrein, Medical Director, The Youth Doctor Academy.
Thank you for your great service. I was very happy with your communication and the quality of the work. I will definitely recommend you to friends and colleagues.
Chrissy Bishop, PhD student.
Thanks again for sending over the files ... I’m currently working through them, and they are really good! So thanks for making my job easier.
DP, Project manager.
Thanks so much for the very thorough proof read – well done for picking up all the factual stuff! That's often the sort of thing that a proof-reader has missed in the past.
EF, Production Editor.