|Location||Co Wexford, IRELAND|
|Mobile||+353 (0) 87 237 2350|
|Google+||Mary McCauley Proofreading|
|Mary McCauley Proofreading|
I offer editing, plain English editing, copy-editing and proofreading services to publishers, public sector/state agencies, businesses and independent authors. I have excellent project management skills, possess a strong customer service ethos, as well as a proven track record in meeting deadlines and following a client's brief.
If you think I can help you with your manuscript or document, I would love to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to read my directory entry.
- Proofreading and on-screen proofreading
- Copy-editing and on-screen editing
- Plain English editing
- Project management
- E-book conversion review
- Fiction and non-fiction books, multi-author books, illustrated books
- Company literature, reports, directories, presentations, newsletters, online material
- Government and state agency reports, public procurement tenders
- Educational materials, distance-learning materials, manuals, guides
Qualifications and awards
- Bachelor of Business Studies (Hons) in Services Marketing
- Institute of Public Administration (IPA) Certificate in Local Government Studies
- Full Member of Ireland's Association of Freelance Editors, Proofreaders and Indexers (AFEPI Ireland)
- Member of Plain Language Association InterNational (PLAIN)
- Aer Rianta's Pursuit of Excellence Award (when employed by the Dublin Airport Authority)
I have 15 years' business research and administrative experience (mostly in the public sector). I established my editorial business in 2012 and I have:
- provided proofreading, copy-editing, project management, picture research and e-book conversion review services to a variety of clients, including publishers, businesses, government and state agencies, bloggers, authors and students
- project managed, co-edited and co-authored the parish history Oylegate Glenbrien: A Look Back in Time, and
- presented several seminars/workshops, including a 'Marketing Tools for the Freelance Editor' seminar at the SfEP annual conference in 2014; an 'Editing for Authors' masterclass at the Wexford Literary Festival (Ireland); guest speaker on my Local Enterprise Office's 'Start Your Own Business' programme; and presented 'Self-Edit Your Fiction Manuscript' two-day courses as part of the Claire Keegan Fiction Clinic series.
- SfEP annual conference (Birmingham) 2016
- Rewriting and substantive editing (Publishing Training Centre) 2016
- Editorial project management (Publishing Training Centre) 2015
- Advanced copy-editing (Publishing Training Centre) 2015
- Point of view in fiction workshop (Claire Keegan) 2014
- SfEP annual conference (London) 2014
- Grammar plus (Publishing Ireland) 2013
- Fiction editing workshop (Publishing Ireland) 2013
- On-screen editing 1 (SfEP) 2013
- Basic proofreading by distance learning – merit (Publishing Training Centre) 2012
- Fiction writing weekend workshop (Claire Keegan) 2012
- Creative writing 6-week course (Jim McGuire) 2011
Irish Research Council, Road Safety Authority (Ireland), Enterprise Ireland, Health Service Executive (HSE), SOLAS (Ireland's Further Education and Training Authority), Wexford County Council, Folens Publishers, Divine Mercy Publications, and various businesses and independent authors
Public sector and state agencies: reports, policy documents, papers, directories, brochures, information leaflets.
Fiction: literary, crime/thriller/suspense, speculative, contemporary, historical.
Non-fiction: education, training, business, mind–body–spirit, inspirational.
PerfectIt 3, Dropbox Pro, Adobe Acrobat, PDF-XChange
I am delighted to recommend Mary McCauley. She has proved to be a very able editor, doing a detailed edit, picture research, artwork co-ordination and all proofreading, proof-checking and collation of author proofs. She has shown attention to detail, flexibility with schedule changes and diplomacy in working with several authors on what was a complicated project. Her good humour in the face of many changes helped make the project an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
Tess Tattersall, editorial manager, Folens Publishers
I would like to express my sincere thanks to you for your outstanding work on the Essential Science Workbook. I have worked with many editors over a long period but you are one of the finest that I have ever met. You took your work very seriously and did a super job reading the manuscripts, getting back to us with queries, suggesting areas for improvement and continually checking and rechecking with us to ensure that everything was perfect. Receiving a manuscript from three different authors is always challenging since each of us is writing independently of the others. However, you managed this very skilfully – like the conductor of an orchestra making sure that we were all in tune with each other! I hope that I will have the opportunity to work with you again.
Dr Declan Kennedy, author, senior lecturer in Science Education at University College Cork
Highly professional, capable, committed to deadlines and pleasant to deal with. Unlike many proofreaders who are ‘self-taught’, Mary has one of the industry’s recognised professional qualifications, and that makes a huge difference to the quality and creditability of her work. She is also very generous in sharing her knowledge about the latest writing style trends and conventions, and she has helped me shape the current style guide for The Market magazine.
Mary Sweetman, editor of Enterprise Ireland's The Market magazine
An excellent professional, truly engaged and generous with her expert advice. I found her patient, non-judgemental and very supportive. Keeps to deadline commitments; her insights and suggestions are critically clear.
Declan Jones, independent author
Professional in her approach, fastidious in checking my rather eclectic sources, and painstakingly referenced every point she made.
Trevor Bloom, traditionally published author
Provides a fast, thorough and thoughtful service. Her proofing is exact.
Kevin McDermott, traditionally published author
I hired Mary McCauley to do some copy-editing, expecting to get back some minor revisions before publication. Instead, I got back a copy-edit that blew me away. Mary is not only extremely thorough, but she's also incredibly talented, and her edits are eye-opening. I can honestly say that I've become a better writer because of her suggestions and insights. Reading one of her edits is like a year of creative writing classes. I would highly recommend hiring Mary to anyone who thinks they have this writing thing licked. She will open your eyes and make you a better writer.
Sam Sisavath, independent author
For the last 10 years, I have run my own marketing, business training and wedding planning companies and a lot of my time is dedicated to writing business blogs, business e-zines, website content and training course content. For the 10 years previous, I worked as a magazine editor and was trained by Reuters in Fleet Street London. I can spot a mistake in other people's work a mile off, (I can't read a newspaper or book without searching for mistakes they have missed!). However, when it comes to my own written work I can't see the wood for the trees. For years, I have churned out work and sent it out into the universe thinking it was okay. When I'd read over it at a later date, I'd spot mistakes here and there so I employed the services of Mary McCauley 'just for reassurance' and I can't believe how riddled with mistakes each of my pieces are! Mary goes through each piece with a fine tooth comb; she is amazingly efficient, always before deadline and thorough. I now feel much more confident about uploading content and sending out material as I get Mary to go through everything for me. An excellent and crucial service if you are serious about your business.
Rosemarie Meleady, business owner