|Location||Colwall Green, Malvern, Herefordshire|
|Telephone||01684 541 453|
What do I do?
I offer editing and proofreading of any kind of document, including books, newsletters and magazines, novels and biographies, and websites and blogs. I am a flexible and friendly editor and always try to combine sensitivity to your style with the rigour of an editor’s eye.
My services include copy-editing, academic editing, non-native editing, and proofreading, and I work on both fiction and non-fiction.
Who do I work for?
- Academics: books, multi-author books, journal papers (pre-submission), research papers, language course materials
- Businesses: blogs, magazine articles, websites, leaflets, brochures, catalogues. in-house communications
- Authors: (auto)biographies, self-help books, novels, short stories
Freelance since 2005, I have copy-edited a large number of non-fiction titles for various academic publishers, typically in the fields of linguistics, sociology and philosophy and education.
I have also edited papers and books for academics in the UK and across the world on a range of subjects, including linguistics, speech technology, sociology, international relations, development and economics.
I also edit for businesses, including websites and blogs, in-house communications, valuation reports, training manuals and tree-ring reports.
Most of my fiction work has been for independent authors. Almost all of it has involved continuity and plot checking as well as more general editing.
You can see examples of each of these on my website.
Qualifications and training
Recent courses include:
- Fiction editing development day (SfEP, 2016)
- Practical mark-up of PDFs (SfEP, 2016)
- Introduction to fiction editing (SfEP, 2015)
- On-screen editing 2 (SfEP, 2014)
- Introduction to web editorial skills (SfEP, 2012)
- SfEP conferences 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Publishers and PM companies
- Out of House Publishing Solutions (for Cambridge University Press, Taylor & Francis, Critical Publishing, Manchester University Press, IB Tauris)
- Tickly Whiskers Publishing
- Crux Publishing
- HotHive Books
- Commercial (editing and proofreading):
- Clearly Presented Ltd
- Tree Ring Services
- Sidney Phillips
- On the Sauce Again (blog)
- Accipio Consulting
- ACT Associates
- Fiction (editing): various self-publishing authors
My non-fiction subject specialisms include:
- linguistics: phonetics, phonology, accents, dialects, grammar, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, teaching English
- speech technology
- sociology and other humanities and social sciences
- environment: nature, green issues, organic gardening, wildlife
My fiction specialist areas include:
- science fiction
Sue is an extremely dependable and highly skilled copy-editor. She supports Out of House with excellent copy-editing work across a range of subject areas and always delivers on schedule.
Jo Bottrill, managing director, Out of House Publishing Solutions
Sue provides excellent, proactive copy-editing services. She just completed work on a new book of mine, and was fast, thorough and easy to work with. A particular characteristic of her work is that she not only identified problems, but also suggested solutions that were always completely consistent with the style and content of the book. Great work, and I'm certain the book will be much better as a result.
David Cropley, associate professor of engineering innovation at the University of South Australia, author of Creativity and Crime (Cambridge University Press, 2013)
I still marvel at the sharpness of your eye in finding the errors. I appreciate your comments – some of them make me smile … All your comments make me think and you make very sensible suggestions. … I am confident in publishing this one knowing that errors and inconsistencies will not mar the writing so giving the book a chance to be read without distraction.
Ted Dunphy, author of Rowing Down the World to Auckland (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2015), Don't Poke the Fire (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2015) and The Devil to Pay (Canaan-Star Publishing, 2015)