I have sixteen years of continuous editing and proofreading experience for publishers, higher education institutions and other organisations in the public and private sectors.
I work on
- educational textbooks and other resources
- academic books, including multi-author volumes
- general non-fiction, including illustrated books
- reports, publications, in-house magazines and other company literature.
I am experienced in using Word’s editing tools, including templates and styles. I will happily proofread on paper or PDF.
Qualifications, training and professional development
MA Greek & Hebrew, PhD Greek
City & Guilds Licentiateship in Editorial Skills
PTC Basic editing (distinction)
Numerous SfEP and other courses, including On-screen editing 1 and 2, Efficient copy-editing, Professional copy-editing, Introduction to illustrations, InDesign for beginners, Introduction to web editorial skills, Indexing for editors
SfEP conferences: 2001, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015
SfEP regional mini-conferences (Scotland): 2014, 2017
- Editing and/or proofreading of over 200 titles across educational, academic and trade publishing
- Handling projects from copy-editing to final proofs
- Liaising with authors
- Editing and proofreading MBA materials for higher education institutions
- Working with communications teams on corporate literature and house style
- Tutor on SfEP Editing with Word course and mentor in proofreading for SfEP
- education (textbooks, study guides and resource materials on social subjects, vocational subjects, art & design and English)
- history (ancient, medieval, modern)
- literature (classical, English, Semitic languages)
- management and business
- general non-fiction, including Scottish interest, local history, merchant and maritime history, humour, travel, general knowledge
I’ve just passed the material on for typesetting – which didn’t take me long. You’ve done a super job, really thorough, so thank you.
Military history publisher, 2007
Thank you very much for all the work you have done on this and for the additional documents. You always do such a thorough job, so much so we are all fighting to send you things!
Pearson Vocational editor, 2011
It is an exemplary job and we are very pleased with it – [the author] is extremely impressed. Thank you very much for turning it round quickly and all your helpful suggestions and documentation.
Birlinn editor, 2012
I am currently going through your changes and can't thank you enough for being so thorough. Also, thank you for making the changes so clear to follow. I really appreciate it.
University publications officer, 2015
Susan, I really wanted to tell you just how impressed I was with your proofread - absolutely first-rate! … I have pretty high standards and expectations, but you not only matched but exceeded them! [My colleague] and I are now fighting (in the nicest possible way, of course!) over who gets to book you in next! … You are an editorial star!
Hodder Gibson editor, 2016
You should be working in the CID.
Author (retired police superintendent), 2012