|Telephone||0118 987 4587|
|Mobile||0783 1234 112|
With extensive experience across the range of primarily non-fiction publishing, I offer a friendly, flexible and professional editorial service that is tailored to your specific needs. My particular speciality is food, and I have worked with many of the major cookery publishers and not a few high-profile authors.
If you answer 'yes' to any of these questions, I could be the solution to your editorial problems:
- Do you need an experienced cookery editor?
- Are you exasperated by a disorganised manuscript?
- Is your step-by-step guide tripping you up?
- Do you have an author who knows their subject but has English as their second language or a poor writing style?
- Or are you trying to coax a book out of a nervous or inexperienced author?
- Do you have the makings of a good manuscript that needs rewriting?
- Would it be helpful to have a detailed flatplan, synopsis or objective report?
- Is working in layout (in InDesign) high on your agenda?
Whatever the subject, I specialise in making the author's work as clear, organised and accurate as possible so that the reader can achieve the desired outcome.
- Project management and editorial consultancy
- Re-writing, writing, ghost-writing, guiding and developing inexperienced authors or those with non-native English
- Cookery testing and recipe editing
- Structural and complex editing
- Editing and copy-fitting in layout
- Preparing presentations and sample material for book fairs, submissions, etc., writing abstracts
- Anglicizing international recipes
- Crafts, especially step-by-step guides, sewing and needlecrafts, knitting and textiles
- Design, especially interior design and soft furnishings
- Lifestyle, including event planning and organisation, hobbies
- Self-development, including popular psychology
- Mind, body, spirit
Magazines, reports and newsletters
Websites and online materials
- Constable & Robinson
- The Book Consultancy
- Freelance editorial consultant (since 2011)
- Editorial director at Foulsham Publishing (1995–2011)
- Freelance editor (1982–1995)
- Managing editor at Rodale Press (1981–82)
- Senior editor at Purnell Books (1978–81)
- Educational publicity manager at Oxford University Press (1976–77)
- Editorial assistant at Macmillan Education (1975–76)
Qualifications and awards
- BA (Hons) English Language and Literature
- In-house trainer for editorial staff
- Adobe InDesign training (2015)
Adobe Creative Suite CC 2014 and CS6, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
An excellent editor and it’s a joy to work with her.Grace Cheetham, publisher, Nourish
Thank you for being the warmest, most intelligent and patient editor that any author could wish for. I can’t think of anyone I would trust more with my intentions.Nisha Katona, author of Pimp my Rice
What an amazing job you’ve done! I’m so thrilled with it, thank you so, so much. I’ll be in touch with the next book before I spend several weeks trying to perfect it myself. Thanks again for such a brilliant job.Deborah Taylor, Book-launch your Business
Very organised, and has the ability to sort out problems while remaining calm and focused … approachable … I very much enjoy working under her clear and decisive leadership.Helen Stevens, SfEP Marketing and PR director (2010–12)