Page owner: Membership director
We hope that Retired Membership will be attractive to some subscribers who have given a lot to the Society and might want to keep in touch. It enables us to show the value we put on your continued participation in our debates; and is a sort of thank you.
Someone who has been a Professional or Advanced Professional Member, has deliberately scaled down their professional proofreading and copy-editing activity and no longer wishes to use SfEP resources to gain work or take SfEP courses may become a Retired Member at the annual renewal (1 March each year).
The annual subscription is set at a special rate. Retired Members may:
- continue to take part in our forum
- continue to belong to Local Groups
- receive Editing Matters
- access the Members' area of the website
- obtain legal advice from our 24-hour legal helpline
- enjoy the members' discount on the fees for our annual two-day conference
- receive SfEP Announce posts that do not advertise work available and
- take advantage of non-editorial discounts negotiated for SfEP members
Retired Members may describe themselves, if they wish, as 'Professional Member (Retired)' or 'Advanced Professional Member (Retired)' (if they held those grades). However, no logo is provided, and we would prefer that you are no longer advertising or actively looking for editing work.
Please contact the office, if possible before 1 March, to confirm that you wish to renew as a Retired Member. In due course you will receive by email a renewal invoice showing that we have transferred you to that grade.
Because special terms apply to Retired Members, a change to Retired Membership is irreversible.