All of our members – from beginners to the most experienced – receive a variety of benefits, from help and advice on finding work to discounts on reference materials and professional services. After you join us, you will find details of how to take advantage of these offers in the members-only area.
- Progress through our membership grades as you build your skills and experience:
- Entry-Level Member (ELM)
- Intermediate Member (IM)
- Professional Member (PM)
- Advanced Professional Member (APM).
- Keep a CPD (continuing professional development) record in our upgrading portal.
- Grade-level logo to display on your website and business documents that clients in the know will recognise and trust.
- Special sfep.net email address for APMs.
Training and CPD
- Member rate for all courses, events and conference.
- Subject-specific know-how forums (eg legal, medical and fiction editing).
- Professional development days on various specialisms or aspects of editing.
- Mentoring schemes in proofreading and copy-editing (and some specialist subjects).
- Training vouchers for new members and successful upgraders.
I am just overwhelmed by the amount of support on these forums and at events/meet ups. No matter the question or problem or bout of impostor syndrome that has hit me, I've always had thoughtful, considerate and excellent advice from so many of you and I can't even begin to say how much that has helped me at a very scary time in my career.Jess Lawrence
Networking and know-how
- Access to our lively and supportive online forums, where members share know-how, discuss editing issues and offer general support.
- Attendance at local group meetings or the Cloud Club, where members discuss topics, share advice, or just meet to be social.
- Annual two-day conference packed with CPD and networking opportunities, as well as lots of fun.
Help getting work
- Advertising entry in our Directory of Editorial Services (PMs and APMs).
- Advertising entry in our internal IM Available list (IMs).
- Member-only marketplace forum for passing on jobs.
- Model contracts, terms and conditions.
- Suggested fees.
Publications, information and resources
- Subscription included to our e-magazine Editing Matters (six issues a year).
- Member rate for SfEP guides and publications.
- Heavily discounted laminated card of the BSI marks for proofreading and editing.
- Free fact sheets, FAQs and recommended reference works.
- Access to a free legal helpline, for work or personal issues (PMs and APMs).
Various discounts from partner providers that we think will be useful for members, including:
- books and reference works
- software and equipment
- professional indemnity insurance
- subscriptions to other societies, events and magazines
- editorial skills and software training
- professional services such as website design and accountancy
- lovely pens!