You need to have been trained in proofreading and/or copy-editing (the core skills)
- This training might have been as an employee (in-house) or with an external training provider (or a mixture).
- Training could be formal or informal (informal training will attract fewer points and is unlikely to be sufficient on its own).
- For Advanced Professional Membership (APM), we expect to see detailed training in our core skills.
- Your training may have been some time ago, but we still need to know about it.
- At this level, we also want to see that you are committed to keeping your skills and knowledge up to date, so there is an additional category at this grade of continuing professional development (CPD), which must be completed within the 36 months prior to your application.
All training submitted must be fully completed. No post-dating of courses will be accepted. If you have not yet finished a course, please do not submit your application until you have done so.
- If you work or have worked as an employee for a company, please supply details of any training you have received from that company.
- If you have at least 5 years of in-house editorial experience, but have no formal training, you can nevertheless show us that you have reached the required standard for Professional Membership in the core skills by taking the online basic editorial test; this combination will satisfy the requirement for basic training in the two core skills of copy-editing and proofreading (to a maximum of 12 points).
- You will still need to fulfil the additional requirement for CPD to meet the minimum 15 points requirement for APM.
There are a number of external providers of editorial training, which vary enormously in terms of the range and depth of training they provide. The Admissions Panel rates these courses according to a points system.
Examples of courses
Some examples of popular courses can be seen in our Training Course Examples document, which is available in the members’ area of the website.
See our page on relevant training courses.
Delivering editorial training
Please tell us about any editorial training that you have prepared and delivered.
Click the button below to see what information we need about your training.