Information we need from you
- If you are already an Intermediate or a Professional Member, the points you have already earned will be carried forward to your application for Advanced Professional Membership.
- You do not need to re-submit the information you have already supplied in a previous upgrade application.
- Simply tell us your previous application number and the old and new forms will be linked in the office.
Gather your information
You will find it helpful to get together all the details (names, dates, hours, type of work) on your background before you start to complete the online form.
Tell us as much as you can
The Admissions Panel would like as much information as possible about your editorial background so that they can make an informed judgement about your eligibility. Please include everything that is or could be relevant.
See a note on detail.
What we look for
- We focus on copy-editing and proofreading – the core editorial skills – as outlined in the SfEP Code of Practice and the Editorial Syllabus.
- Related editorial skills, such as project management and development editing, will also be considered.
- You must also provide evidence of training, continuing professional development and experience of working in the core skills.
- Other publishing skills that are less closely related to editorial work – such as indexing, typesetting, design, marketing, copy writing, translating, and so forth – are not included in our criteria and will not be counted.
- If you have worked full time in proofreading and/or copy-editing for the past 10 years, there is probably no need to go back further than that in detail.
- If your work history is patchy or less conventional, it might help your application if you can go back further or you are able to include more history.