Information we need from you
Gather your information:
- You will find it helpful to get together all the details (names, dates, hours, type of work) on your background before you start to complete the online form.
- If you have paper certificates from your training courses, mentoring or conference attendance, we need you to scan the documents and supply them electronically with your application form.
- Please DO NOT redact your name; the office needs to see the completed certificate.
Tell us as much as you can:
- The Admissions Panel would like as much information as possible about your editorial background so that they can make an informed judgement about your eligibility.
- Please include everything that is or could be relevant.
See a note on detail.
Please bear in mind:
- To make the process as fair and equitable as possible, the Admissions Panel uses a points system to assess eligibility for the different membership grades.
- We focus on copy-editing and proofreading – the core editorial skills – as outlined in the SfEP Code of Practice and the Editorial Syllabus.
- Related editorial skills, such as project management and development editing, will also be considered.
- You must also provide evidence of training and experience in the core skills.
- Other publishing skills that are less closely related to editorial work – such as indexing, typesetting, design, marketing, copy writing, translating, and so forth – are not included in our criteria and will not be counted.