The Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) is a professional organisation based in the UK for editors and proofreaders – the people who strive to make text accurate and readable.
Looking for an editor or proofreader?
The Directory of Editorial Services provides contact information for more than 700 SfEP members, plus details of the skills, subjects and services they offer. Find an editor or proofreader now.
Training in editing and proofreading
Our workshops and online training courses will give you the skills you need to become a better editor or proofreader.
Our three-level proofreading course will get your career off to a solid start, teaching you the core knowledge and practical skills needed to successfully work as a proofreader in the publishing industry and beyond. Take the levels individually, or work your way through all three – 15 upgrade points awarded on successful completion of all three courses.
P1: Introduction | P2: Headway | P3: Progress
PLAIN ENGLISH FOR EDITORS
Our new online course has just launched!
Would you like to learn more about plain English?
You will learn:
- what plain English is and what it’s for
- the six core guidelines for plain-English editing
- techniques and tools to speed up plain-English editing tasks and increase accuracy
- how to use them in a balanced and nuanced way
- the practicalities of providing plain-English editing services
The course will take 30–35 hours to complete. It is self-assessed and is worth 4 upgrade points.
The price is £157 for SfEP members and £261 for non-members.
EDITING INTO PLAIN ENGLISH
New edition 2019 by Luke Finley, Laura Ripper and Sarah Carr
With increasing demands for clearer communication in the public and private sectors, plain-English editing has much to offer. Looking at key aspects of working as a freelance editor for this market, this new SfEP guide will:
- introduce the concept of plain English and techniques for plain-English editing
- help you to identify the market for plain-English skills
- help you to find work in this field.