|Location||33 Mardle Road, LEIGHTON BUZZARD, Bedfordshire LU7 2UR|
|Telephone||01525 854 412|
|Mobile||07895 179 056|
I specialise in editing fiction for adults and children and proofreading/editing for businesses, as well as working for publishers.
Fiction: I work with both independent/self-publishing and traditionally published authors, and take pride in helping each client make their work the best it can be.
I offer development editing, copy-editing and proofreading for fiction. I advise authors on all aspects of their novels, including plot, dialogue, point of view, characterisation, pace and structure.
Businesses: I work with businesses to produce clear, clean, error-free copy. I help to make sure that a business’s communications are all written in easy-to-understand English.
I have experience of editing websites and company literature (letters, annual reports, brochures, press releases, blogs, sales/marketing/promotional material, etc.) to ensure consistency and a professional finish.
I communicate well, and pride myself on my attention to detail and reliability. Please see my website for more information, and please contact me to discuss how I can help you with your project.
Media I have worked on: books (fiction for adults and children, non-fiction, multi-author, illustrated, encyclopaedia), CD-ROMs, PowerPoint slides, magazines, journals, newsletters, educational materials and workbooks.
Here are some projects I have edited/proofread recently.
- Marcus Sedgwick: Saint Death (Orion Children’s Books)
- Pete Begler: The Fearless Travellers’ Guide to Wicked Places (Curious Fox)
- English Skills series (Schofield & Sims)
- Incredible Facts about Dinosaurs (Parragon)
- Emotionary: Say what you feel (Palabras Aladas, Spain)
- Carrie Mortleman: Hellie the Hovercraft Elephant
- Richard Heddington: Henry the Hedgegnome series
- Mallory Leigh: The Golden Amulet
- H.G. Sansostri: The Chronicles of Derek Dunstable
- Storytime magazine
- Steve Backshall: Deadly 60 Annual 2016 (Orion Children's Books)
- William Sutcliffe: Circus of Thieves: The Comeback Caper, aka The Mystery of the Spoons (Simon & Schuster)
- Copy for a travel agency, a fashion magazine, a PR agency, local councils, construction companies, a zoo, a nature reserve, a wildlife organisation, a therapist and other businesses
- Hannah Ellis: Beneath These Stars and Beyond the Lens
- Erica Ridley: Lord of Chance
- Jennifer Joyce: A Beginner’s Guide to Saying I Do
- Luan Wise: Relax! It’s Only Social Media
- Carl Vernon: The Less Stress Lifestyle (Headline) and Anxiety Rebalance
- Jackie Beere: GROW: Change your mindset, change your life (Crown House Publishing)
- David Hodgson: What Else Can A Teacher Do? (Crown House Publishing)
- Conor Jameson: Shrewdunnit: The Nature Files (Pelagic Publishing)
- Mark Avery and Keith Betton: Behind the Binoculars (Pelagic Publishing)
- REToday magazine (Christian Publishing: http://shop.retoday.org.uk/)
- Royal Borough (newspaper for the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea)
- Entries in Wiley-Blackwell’s The International Encyclopedia of Geography: People, the Earth, Environment and Technology (ed. Richardson et al.)
- Entries in Wiley-Blackwell’s Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration (ed. Ness)
Copy-editing, rewriting, proofreading (PDFs/on screen or on hard copy; using BSI proofreading markup symbols or Adobe Reader’s editing tools), proofreading e-book/Kindle/mobi/epub files, Anglicising, writing in plain English. Software: Microsoft Word, Adobe Reader DC, Adobe Digital Editions
Editing for fiction, Introduction to web editorial skills, On-screen editing 1, Working for non-publishers, Proofreading problems (all SfEP)
Psychic (narrative) distance workshop run by Emma Darwin, Nottingham (July 2017)
Headline, Schofield & Sims, Orion Children’s Books, Wiley-Blackwell, Parragon Books, Crown House Publishing, Simon & Schuster, Osiris Educational, Curious Fox, Christian Education, Kier, various business and independent authors
Animals (behaviour, husbandry, welfare), earth sciences, education (pre-school, early years, primary), English language, English and Scottish literature, Scottish language (Doric), literary criticism, the environment (conservation, nature, wildlife, birds, birdwatching, ornithology, countryside), geography, history, humanities, midwifery, parenting (child development, Asperger's syndrome, speech therapy), personal development (pregnancy and childbirth, relationships, self-help/popular psychology, anxiety, depression), religion (Christianity), social sciences (crime/criminology, sociology), horses (dressage, show jumping), gymnastics
Children's fiction: pre-school books, picture books, rhyming books, chapter books, middle grade, Young Adult (YA)
Adult fiction: crime, thriller, mystery, romance, erotica, women's literature, popular fiction, chick lit, biography, autobiography, memoirs
Other subjects also considered.
Jane Hammett was one of a team of copyeditors working on a highly complex multi-volume reference work under my project management, and proved herself competent, cheerful and helpful, co-operating well as part of a team of five copyeditors over a period of several months.
Janey Fisher, Wiley-Blackwell project manager
Jane worked with me on my third Archer and Baines crime novel, and definitely helped to make it a better book, picking up typos, spotting inconsistencies and overuse of words and phrases, and asking challenging questions about aspects of the plot. She is a pleasure to work with, professional and friendly, and I'm looking forward to having her on my team next time.
Dave Sivers, author of Evil Unseen
Jane has worked for me for 15 years on many books (across all age ranges) and I have always found her to be thorough and conscientious. She always meets deadlines and is very reliable.
Jane Hughes, editorial manager, Orion Children's Books
Jane is everything you want in an editor and more. She helped make my books the best-sellers they are today. I wouldn't consider using anyone else.
Carl Vernon, author of The Less Stress Lifestyle and Anxiety Rebalance
I have been pleased to employ Jane Hammett in various publishing capacities and have found her to be efficient, conscientious and thorough. Her work is completed to deadline and she has a friendly and competent manner.
Felicity Marsh, Wiley-Blackwell project manager
Jane is an excellent copy-editor and proofreader and I have no hesitation in recommending her.
Annette Abel, Wiley-Blackwell project manager
Jane's experience and knowledge have been a great support since I launched my blog and online business. By working together, both editing and proofreading, she has helped me to publish high-quality content not only on my own website and marketing products, but as a guest writer for other blogs. Most valuably for me, Jane has encouraged and guided me, and helped me to improve my writing skills. I now see Jane as a valued part of my support team. Thanks, Jane!
Jo Warwick, counsellor
I worked with Jane on four of my books and I recommend her services unreservedly. She has an eagle eye for inconsistencies and a deep understanding of language. It was a pleasure working with someone who is always pleasant, always on time and highly professional.
Natasha Mostert, author
Jane has been a great support. She has edited my first series of children's books, and her feedback and kindness have made the process much smoother and more positive. I've really valued her views and guidance, and how quickly she has got back to me. Many, many thanks.
Caroline Meek, author of the Chloe and the Weatherbys preschool series
Jane has been amazing. Her copy-editing brought my children’s story to life, after many months lying dormant. She is supportive, competent, talented and did a great job. Thank you so much.
Debra Harris, author of Cats Behaving Badly