|Location||Leamington Spa, Warwickshire|
Hi, I’m Louis, a freelance editor, proofreader and writer with wide-ranging expert experience in British and South African book and corporate publishing. I’m based in Warwickshire but can work online around the world.
I’ve been a professional wordworker since 1996, and freelance since 2009. I can help you get the best out of your text and polish your publication ready for distribution, print or upload.
- I copy-edit, proofread or style any text, from brochures and documents to books.
- I work with publishing houses, businesses, organisations and private clients.
My competitive rates vary according the scope of the job. Just drop me a line.
A sample edit (£190) is a popular starting point for independent book clients. I copy-edit the first 10,000 words of your manuscript – enough to start a style sheet and identify particular areas for attention. I provide an editorial report and you can choose whether to continue the job – at a lower rate.
Here are some of the great books I've worked on:
- I’ve edited and proofread over 70 books for major publishers, including Random House, Penguin, Pan Macmillan and Head of Zeus.
- I’ve worked on thrillers, SFFH, literary fiction, memoir, travel, cookery, law, business, sport and other general trade titles.
- For 8 years I wrote, edited, designed and laid out print and online newsletters, brochures, posters and web content for Exclusive Books, South Africa’s major bookselling chain.
- I was a bookseller, buyer and deputy store manager of Exclusive Books' flagship store in Hyde Park, Johannesburg.
- I edited charitable grant funding documents for major corporations including Anglo American and the FirstRand Foundation.
- I was the commissioning editor for Random House Struik’s online imprint.
- I designed and tutored an online course in proofreading and copy-editing for the Writers’ College, and tutored their Write a Novel course.
- I copy-edited the academic journal, English Studies in Africa.
- I taught second-language English bridging courses for science students and practised as a writing consultant at the Wits Writing Centre.
- As an author, I have had eight novels published.
I understand the editorial process from all sides and am sensitive to writers’, publishers’ and clients’ needs.
- Fiction: genre, literary, thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, horror, short stories
- Travel, sport, cookery
- Law, business, economics
- Marketing and promotional material
- Corporate documents
- Academic articles
Qualifications & Training
- PhD English Literature, 2011
- MA English Literature, 1998
- SfEP Copy-editing 2, 2018
- SfEP Proofreading 2, 2018
- Writers’ College Scriptwriting course, 2016
- Several short courses on topics ranging from Linux networking, PHP and QuarkXPress to film financing and French cookery. Learning new things is one of the constant pleasures of my work.
Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, HTML
“I really like your editing. You’re sensible and sensitive. Best editor ever.”
HB - fantasy author
“Thanks so much, you were brilliant, perceptive and sensitive. I really loved working with you and hope we can do this again in the future.”
IvZ - crime author
“Let me say: thank you. There is a lot of gratitude packed into those two words as you have vastly helped turn this into a much better novel.”
MN - thriller author
“I am so thankful for your expert guidance and the insight you have been able to share.”
SH - YA publisher