|Lucy Ridout – Editor of Fiction and Travel|
Fiction and travel editing for self-publishers, debut novelists and established authors
Do you worry that your plot isn’t pacy enough, your characters lack credibility or your ending fails to deliver? Does your travelogue read too much like a diary? Whether you're writing a novel or a travel book, I can help you take a step back, analyse what's working well and advise on how to tackle the problem areas.
Please contact me for sympathetic and insightful assistance with your book.
I edit fiction and travel titles for self-publishers, debut novelists, established authors and publishing houses. I have worked with writers for more than 25 years; I'm an Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), a Partner Member of the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) and a member of the Society of Authors (SoA). I’m also a published author myself, so I know how important it is to find an editor you can trust.
Please visit www.lucyridout.co.uk to find out how I can help you produce the best possible book.
Editorial services: fiction and travel
- Fiction: commercial fiction, literary fiction, historical fiction, romantic fiction, genre fiction, women's fiction, crime novels, spy novels, psychological fiction, thrillers, fiction in translation
- Travel: travelogues, guidebooks
- Structural and developmental editing: pace, narrative flow, structure, characterisation, style
- Copy-editing: grammar, punctuation, clarity, consistency
- Rewriting: recasting fiction manuscripts or travel writing by non-native speakers of English into lively, fluent prose
- Advice on self-publishing: novels and travel titles
- Freelance editor of novels and travel titles for 25 years
- Developmental editor and copy-editor of commercial and literary fiction for publishing houses
- Author of guidebooks about Thailand and Indonesia for Rough Guides
- Author of material for the SfEP's Introduction to Fiction Editing online course
- Sub-editor on the Radio Times (BBC Magazines)
- Editor of Kansai Time Out (Japan)
- Self-publishing authors
- Allen & Unwin
- Atlantic Books
- Cornerstone Random House
- Head of Zeus
- Rough Guides
- Trailblazer Guides
Please visit my website for a list of some of the books I have worked on.
That was the most satisfying critique I have read of any work I have produced.
A very big thank you for your extraordinarily good and forensic notes and your exceptional psychological insights. Your role has been absolutely invaluable.
Brilliant, a total pro. Sweetly flattering, masterfully gentle with my tottery ego, but tenacious.
Self-publishing author (travel)
I really do understand the phrase 'I couldn’t have done it without you' now.
Self-publishing author (fiction)
Thank you for embracing this novel with the professional expertise I needed as well as the personal care I hoped for.