copy-editing | editorial training | proofreading | writing
Additional skills/services: content and community management, consultancy (editorial), corporate communications, journalism, on-screen editing, page layout, project management, rewriting, substantive editing, technical writing, typesetting, web page/site editing
How can I help you?
Thank you for visiting my SfEP Directory page.
How can I help you?
- I tailor my services to meet your needs, and the needs of your target audience.
- I welcome enquiries from clients who require editing and proofreading services.
- I also accept commissions for writing (e.g. promotional articles, chapters or whole books, professional manuals and guides, or corporate communications such as websites, press releases and annual reports).
- I can often accommodate small projects at short notice.
Please contact me to discuss your project.
In July 2018 I shall be celebrating 30 years in the publishing industry. To mark the occasion I have launched a year-long research project called proofreading2020. If you are a client, publisher, project manager or purchaser of proofreading services, please complete the survey (takes about 10 minutes) at www.proofreading2020.co.uk
Architecture, building/construction, built environment, climate change, conservation (general, energy, green issues), construction industry, construction materials and products, content, current affairs, education (GCSE, A level, undergraduate, sciences), engineering (general, electronic), environment/energy, environmental studies (general, renewable technologies), life sciences, management (Civil Service), materials science, physics, planning/surveying (buildings), project management, sciences (academic, philosophy of science, popular)
Books, company literature, distance learning materials, educational materials, journals, magazines, manuals, multi-author books, newsletters, newspapers, online materials, websites
Since setting up my freelance business in 2000, I have provided writing and editorial services for a wide range of clients, including: Aconex, BRE, Central Office of Information, Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists, ConstructionSkills, Elektra, Forum for the Future, Green Climate Fund, NBS, RIBA Enterprises, RICS Books, Royal Forestry Society, Stonham Housing Association, TRADA, World Green Building Council.
Publishing and journalism
In 2003 I launched a monthly email newsletter on sustainable construction for undergraduates called Get Sust!, which I published independently for eight years. From 2011 to 2015, Get Sust! was published by NBS (RIBA Enterprises).
Content and communities
As well as conventional editorial projects, I have also helped to develop several websites and related communities, and have experience as an online community manager. Related skills/experience include: use of content management systems such as Drupal, Joomla and WordPress; Google Analytics; writing and deploying surveys (e.g. SurveyMonkey); and managing mailing lists and creating newsletters (e.g. MailChimp).
I was a visiting tutor for the Publishing Training Centre (PTC) from 2008 to 2014, and am currently a tutor for SfEP distance learning courses.
My in-house experience includes editing science journals, writing for business-to-business magazines and managing membership communications (most recent first):
- 1999–2000 Building Research Establishment (BRE), editor of Insight (online newsletter)
- 1996–99 BRE, managing editor, Energy Efficiency Best Practice Programme
- 1994–96 Central Office of Information, overseas events publicity manager
- 1991–94 AEEU/EETPU, communications manager
- 1989–91 journalist, Electronic Product Design magazine
- 1988–89 Chapman & Hall, copy-editor, science journals (incl. Journal of Materials Science).
Advanced Professional Member of the SfEP
- BA (Joint Hons) Physics & Music
- Postgraduate Diploma in Science Communication
Advanced feature writing (2013), User experience (UX) (2012), Digital proofreading (2011), Advanced copy-editing (2009), Grappling with grammar (2008), Website design and website management (2005)