|Location||Le Mot Juste, NORWICH, UK (please email me for full address)|
|Telephone||01603 622 171|
Qualified and experienced teacher of French and German, working freelance in publishing since 1995. Educated in France. Fluent French, degree-level German.
I offer two principal areas of expertise:
Language teaching materials
- French and German for the UK market, primary to tertiary level. I relish grammar! Language textbooks should be coherent and enjoyable for teachers and students, and I can provide quality assurance on both content and language.
- ELT materials for the overseas market at both primary and secondary levels.
I have over 20 years' experience editing academic material focusing on European history and especially German history. I have a keen interest medieval history, in which I also read widely for personal pleasure. My work with non-native authors has been particularly appreciated and has led to long and fruitful working relationships. I also translate academic history into English.
Aside from these specialist areas, I am happy to discuss other non-technical projects. I am available all year, and very occasionally at short notice.
- on-screen editing
- content editing
- development editing
- editing non-native English
- fluent French
- degree-level German
- foreign language proofreading (French, German)
- translating (French into English, German into English)
Please note that I don't work on journals.
- language teaching (French, German, ELT)
- history (European, medieval, Church, local)
- French literature (general, medieval)
- music (choral, classical, religious/worship, history)
- religious studies (Christianity, liturgy)
SfEP conferences (16 conferences, 1998–2016)
Brush up your grammar (SfEP) 2014 – I repurposed this course for online delivery
SfEP courses on editing, including On-screen editing, Efficient copy-editing
Specialist SfEP courses, including Editing and proofreading music, Web editorial skills
BA and MA, Modern & Medieval Languages
PGCE, Modern Languages
Oxford University Press (journals)
Gill & Macmillan
Private/non-publisher clients (academic history, translation German to English)
[Colleague] and I were both really pleased with what you have done on these – it's all very methodical, thorough and clear which is exactly what we need on such a busy project!
Project manager, ELT textbook
Sarah is a real pleasure to work with. Not only is she adept at identifying issues in a text, she also goes the extra mile to provide helpful solutions. She is always friendly, efficient and reliable. Highly recommended!
Content manager, KS3 French textbook
I am extremely grateful for reading this so closely. This kind of attention during the copy-editing process is getting extremely rare these days
Non-English journal author
Thanks for doing such an excellent job of the editing: I have never had copies back from the designer which were so error-free!
Thanks again for your hard work on this project – it definitely wouldn't have gone so well without you
Project manager, A-level French course
Thank you again for dealing so competently with the extremely difficult text
Multi-author academic text, medieval French literary criticism